Equivalent of 'hidden'

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:59:56 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-22 00:30, George V. Reilly wrote:

> Is there an equivalent to Vim's 'hidden' option? Every time I use
> C-^ to switch to the alternate buffer, I'm getting an annoying
> message about "Buffer foo is modified. Discard changes? (yes or
> no)". If I switch with :b or "C-x b", I don't get that message.

Unfortunately, this text is hard-coded into `ex-edit', which is called
when you invoke :e# or C-^. However, you may rebind C-^ with one of

    (define-key viper-vi-global-user-map (kbd "C-^") (kbd ":b RET"))
    (define-key viper-vi-global-user-map (kbd "C-^") (kbd "C-x b RET"))

> Vimpulse (or Viper?) doesn't seem to work terribly well with
> Aquamacs 2.1. They work a lot better with Emacs 23.2 from
> http://emacsformacosx.com/.

I don't have a Mac, unfortunately, so I'm unable to test with Aquamacs.

Are there any benefits to using Aquamacs now that Cocoa integration
is part of GNU Emacs 23?

--
Vegard