Equivalent of 'hidden'

George V. Reilly george at reilly.org
Sun Aug 22 00:30:05 CEST 2010

I used VIP then Viper regularly in the late '80s and throughout most of the
'90s, until Vim got good enough to be my primary editor. I haven't used
Viper since Emacs 19 and I'm trying Vimpulse for the first time.

Is there an equivalent to Vim's 'hidden' option? Every time I use C-^ to
switch to the alternate buffer, I'm getting an annoying message about
"Buffer foo is modified. Discard changes? (yes or no)". If I switch with :b
or "C-x b", I don't get that message.

Vimpulse (or Viper?) doesn't seem to work terribly well with Aquamacs 2.1.
They work a lot better with Emacs 23.2 from http://emacsformacosx.com/. The
most obvious thing being that I have to explicitly do M-x viper-mode,
despite having (require 'vimpulse) in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el.

Thanks.
--
/George V. Reilly  george at reilly.org  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech