[implementations-list] The "{Saved, Deleted} N characters" messages gone with `yy'/`dd'

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 23:10:30 CEST 2010

> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:28:33 +0200
> From: stepnem at gmail.com
>
>> × is included in ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1), so it should be quite safe
>> anyway, Unicode or no Unicode.
>
> "Safe"? As if we weren't fighting with shitty software all the time.

Emacs is not shitty software. :)

> People are unfortunately still using all kinds of encodings,

Yeah, but not for /source code/. In general it's either US-ASCII
("pure" 7-bit), or Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1), or as of recently UTF-8.
Compilers tend to be picky about these things.

> In my country overwhelming majority of computer users still use the
> non-standard variation or ISO 8859-2 produced by [Microsoft].

I remember Windows-1252 from my Windows 98 days (I assume you refer to
Windows-1250). It augmented Latin-1 with some extra punctuation
(replacing control characters), which was wicked cool in the absence
of Unicode support. Windows could interpret pure Latin-1 as
Windows-1252 without problems, but the enhanced punctuation would be
unreadable outside of Windows. Ah, memories. :)

Of course, since × is punctuation, its position is less likely to vary
than, say, Ø. Indeed, it's D7 in ISO 8859-1, ISO 8859-2, Windows-1250,
Windows-1252 and UTF-8.

> And the nice advantage of UTF-8 is that it's ASCII-compatible --
> i.e. as long as it does not contain codepoints above 127, problems
> never occur.

I think that's nice too, but Asians complain because their characters
are encoded as multi-byte all the way, increasing the file size.
(Us Norwegians only encounter multi-byte with Ææ Øø Åå, so we get a
much nicer deal. Of course, UTF-8 doesn't save us from the madness of
the Norwegian QWERTY layout.)

>> Does "changeset" have a different meaning in Git, or is it not used
>> at all?
>
> It's not used at all. A nice place where all the Git termini technici
> are explained is the `gitglossary' man page (it's also available online
> on the Git website, in case your system doesn't have it).

Thanks for the tip. So I guess it's either "commit [2c87f791af]" or
"revision [2c87f791af]". What sounds best? (The brackets are for
consistency with Trac.)

Vegard