[implementations-list] The "{Saved, Deleted} N characters" messages gone with `yy'/`dd'

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 21:28:33 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 06:31:16PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:44:34 +0200
> > From: stepnem at gmail.com
> >
> > In your original function, I noticed the use of U+00D7
> > MULTIPLICATION SIGN, which I intentionally replaced with 'x'
> > in my version.
>
> Just curious: Did you use C-u C-x = (`what-cursor-position')?
> That function is /so/ useful. :)

No, I automatically used the `unicode' command-line utility, although I do
also use C-u C-x = sometimes. Ah, I know why -- I was just looking at
the `git log' output, so I was not even in Emacs at that time.

> > Now it's gone for good, but in general I'd recommend against using
> > non-ascii characters in the code, unless necessary.
>
> Why? Vimpulse is UTF-8 as of 0.3.1. Emacs' Unicode support is fairly
> good (it wasn't always, but I'd say it is now). And × is included in
> ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1), so it should be quite safe anyway, Unicode or
> no Unicode.

Heh, surely you jest? "Safe"? As if we weren't fighting with shitty
software all the time. People are unfortunately still using all kinds of
encodings, by far not only UTF-8 and ISO 8859-1 (e.g. in my country
overwhelming majority of computer users still use the non-standard
variation or ISO 8859-2 produced by certain non-free operating system
vendor (see the advertisement after your signature)). And the nice
advantage of UTF-8 is that it's ASCII-compatible -- i.e. as long as it
does not contain codepoints above 127, problems never occur. So I really
try to avoid using such characters when not necessary, which IMO this
case was not (of course decent software will handle it just fine; I'm
not suggesting strictly using ASCII just for the sake of shitty software
possibly trying to display your code).

> Subversion habit. Does "changeset" have a different meaning in Git,
> or is it not used at all?

It's not used at all. A nice place where all the Git termini technici
are explained is the `gitglossary' man page (it's also available online
on the Git website, in case your system doesn't have it).

  Štěpán