[PeDAGoG] A new article on RED website - "We thought it was fiction"

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Fri Sep 24 17:25:28 CEST 2021

Friday, September 24, 2021

Greetings, all

            I’m here weighing in as list admin for WSMDiscuss, one of the lists where Pallav Das posted the article that we’re discussing here.  I have my own thoughts and comments on the article, but here, I would just like to come in and request – as list admin - both ‘sides’ in the sharp exchange here to try and step back a bit, take a deep breath, and consider the enormous significance of the subject being discussed; and in this light – and heat -, try and modify language and position in ways that allow critical discussion to continue (including by staying in the space and conversation).

            Two things : One, and just for the record, Hari even anticipated this in his original post, as follows :

Please entertain these questions/challenges from someone who neither pretends to be an activist nor an expert on the topic. Hopefully the discussion won't get 'acrimonious'!

Please, let’s all try to take this into account !

            And two, let’s also try and keep in mind that lists are - all said and done – not real world and time spaces, and so we all need to try to accordingly speak.  There’s something ‘final’ about the written word…

            In hope that we all can – and that Hari, you will be willing to come back in –

            Jai Sen

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Hari DK <hari.coding at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Finally, we don’t see questions like the ones above being rooted in affirming life. Often these questions above are used facetiously to discredit or seem “right” about the issue of surveillance and to defend an indefensible system of colonial, capitalist, white supremacist, and patriarchy."
>
> Ken - I interpreted this to mean "we don't like these questions". Apologies if that was not the case. I also don't think I am an apologist for settler violence or colonialism. Could we avoid ad hominem please?
>
> Let's end the conversation since it serves no purpose.
> Thank you
>

> On Thu, 23 Sept 2021 at 23:13, Ken Montenegro <kmontenegro at comeuppance.net <mailto:kmontenegro at comeuppance.net>> wrote:
> To be clear, your mischaracterization of "committed to learning and collaboration in our journeys towards the abolition of state violence of all sorts, and welcome dialogue that moves us in that direction" with  "critical questioning may not be welcome" is precisely why these discussions need to happen in public and apologists for settler colonialism and fascism need to be exposed. Thank you for your exposure.
> --ken
> Ken Montenegro :: Technologist, Lawyer, Factotum :: https://flowcrypt.com/me/kmontenegro <https://flowcrypt.com/me/kmontenegro>
>

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 12:38 PM Hari DK <hari.coding at gmail.com <mailto:hari.coding at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Dear Christine,
>
> Thank you for your balanced comments and links to reading. Of course I don't disagree with what you say. Will think over as I learn more. It's also interesting that those who spy on us have also had their own privacy removed. According to Snowden's book, Permanent Record, it was fully possible to enter even the President of the USA's name in XKEYSCORE searches, etc.
>
> Dear Ken, Melanie, Alfredo, Hamid,
>
> Thank you for your comments. I am still not sure I agree with your conclusions. However, I will step out of the discussion as you have mentioned that critical questioning may not be welcome. Good luck on your endeavour,
>
> Best,
>
> On Thu, 23 Sept 2021 at 18:52, Pallav Das <dpallav at gmail.com <mailto:dpallav at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> The following response from the authors of the latest article on the Radical Ecological Democracy website, "We thought it was fiction" was just uploaded on Gitlab. I'm copying it here for the larger readership. A couple of other previous responses are also copied further below. We look forward to a healthy discussion.
>
> From Ken Montenegro, Melanie Bush, Alfredo Lopez and Hamid Khan:
>
> In discussions about weaponized surveillance, people will sometimes raise questions such as:

> [...]

Jai Sen

Independent researcher, editor; Senior Fellow at the School of International Development and Globalisation Studies at the University of Ottawa

jai.sen at cacim.net <mailto:jai.sen at cacim.net> &  <mailto:jsen at uottawa.ca>jsen at uottawa.ca <mailto:jsen at uottawa.ca>
Now based in Ottawa, Canada, on unsurrendered Anishinaabe territory (+1-613-282 2900) and in New Delhi, India (+91-98189 11325)

Check out something new – including for copies of the first two books below, at a discount, and much more : The Movements of Movements <https://movementsofmovements.net/>
Jai Sen, ed, 2017 – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ?.  New Delhi : OpenWord and Oakland, CA : PM Press.  Ebook and hard copy available at PM Press <http://www.pmpress.org/>; hard copy only also at The Movements of Movements <https://movementsofmovements.net/>
Jai Sen, ed, 2018a – The Movements of Movements, Part 2 : Rethinking Our Dance.  Ebook and hard copy available at PM Press <http://www.pmpress.org/>; hard copy only also at The Movements of Movements <https://movementsofmovements.net/>
Jai Sen, ed, 2018b – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ?  (Indian edition). New Delhi : AuthorsUpfront, in collaboration with OpenWord and PM Press.  Hard copy available at MOM1AmazonIN <https://www.amazon.in/dp/9387280101/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522884070&sr=8-2&keywords=movements+of+movements+jai+sen>, MOM1Flipkart <https://www.flipkart.com/the-movements-of-movements/p/itmf3zg7h79ecpgj?pid=9789387280106&lid=LSTBOK9789387280106NBA1CH&marketplace=FLIPKART&srno=s_1_1&otracker=search&fm=SEARCH&iid=ff35b702-e6a8-4423-b014-16c84f6f0092.9789387280106.SEARCH&ppt=Search%20Page>, and MOM1AUpFront <http://www.authorsupfront.com/movements.htm>
SUBSCRIBE TO World Social Movement Discuss, an open, unmoderated, and self-organising forum on social and political movement at any level (local, national, regional, and global).  To subscribe, simply send an empty email to wsm-discuss-subscribe at lists.openspaceforum.net <mailto:wsm-discuss-subscribe at lists.openspaceforum.net>