[PeDAGoG] The communitarian revolutionary subject, new forms of social transformation

Sujit.Sinha sujit.sinha at apu.edu.in
Mon Oct 4 08:25:55 CEST 2021

Dear PeDAGoG members

This is about a Class on Zapatistas

This is one of the stories which we have discussed in our MA classes , with
urban activists , and with indigenous activists in India. With this  last
group we have done this in Hindi with activists in the state of Maharashtra
and Odisha, and in Bengali with rural activists in West Bengal .  In every
space, this is one of the most exciting stories for the participants.

I am attaching the power point we have used ( I have removed most of the
pictures we use as that makes the file close to 15 mb) . I am also attaching
a one page 11 point write-up which we also use for individual reading and
group discussion before a larger discussion starts.

I and my colleague Pallavi have no direct contact with the Zapatistas. We
have gathered all the information from books, writings ,  seminar lectures ,
and audiovisuals  available in the net.

I think quite a few in this PeDAGoG group are directly associated with the
Zapatistas and we would be glad to get feedback , rectifications,
modifications, additions etc.

The number of  people , communities, marez and caracols have to be upwardly
revised as per latest reports we are getting.

We have so far not used the film mentioned by Laurence  in class , although
I have seen and taken notes myself :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqlZOa7DMiU ('People Without Faces' -
Documentary about the Zapatistas)

I am writing my notes on the above film here to assist anyone who would like
to use this film

On history and conflict with Mexican state

0 – 3:30 : indigenous people of Mexico : their history of awakening, map of
Mexico ,their poor  socio economic status, less crime , migration into and
formation of urban centres  in Chiapas

3:30 – 6:20 :  Radio Zapata , Declaration from lacandon forest for autonomy
, Basta! , EZLN – Zapatista Army for National Liberation , War 1994 onwards,
Sub-commandante Marcos speech.

6:20 – 9:00 : Land issue and precarious status of indigenous  people ,
interviews including of people hired in 1990s by Govt to repulse the
Zapatistas but now changed.

9:00 – 13:40 : Interviews with various external activists talking about the
status of indigenous people ,the “war” between Zapatistas and Mexican govt,
, the indigenous congress in 1974, scenes of a big ( current 2016 ? )
meeting of Zapatistas

13:40 – 21:30 : In a caracol office a meeting explaining Zapatistas to a
whole bunch of national and international visitors,  the murders by
para-military forces in Acteal in 1997 while the govt. was treacherously
holding talks with Zapatistas, , about the large refugee camp of people
displaced by the para-military , the San Andreas agreement , formation of
autonomous municipalities , formation of caracols in 2003 , why the symbol
of “snail”, caracols major task is dealing with external  people/agencies /
visitors , presence of external observers ( 2016) as situation with Mexican
govt has never been “amicable”.

21:30 – 26:40 : Visitors come to Ejido Pueblo. Talk with displaced persons
describing govt atrocities , how para military gave the ultimatum to join
them or else ! , Lot of fresh displacements in 2013 , disruption of coffee
farming , coming back in 2016 and re-building farms.

26:40 – 33:50 : A  big meeting in Realidad , empty promises by govt ,
teacher Galeano assassinated by para-military , Marcos declares that someone
has to die for Galeano to live on, and symbolically “Morcos dies” and he
takes the name Galeano.

More on their new governance , economy, schools

33:50 – 35:40 : telling the myth of golden people ( the exploiters) , wood
people, corn people of multiple colors and types.

35:30 – 38:00 : Argentinian activist describes “production autonomy” of
Zapatistas, says lots of self-organizing work is still left , contrasts
Zapatista philosophy with state and market led consumerist society and
individualism.

38:00 – 42:25 : Visitors travel into Zapatista territory to a caracol
meeting where people are present from all “three levels” , talk on women’s
equality and liberation, and indigenous people’s autonomy and self govt.

42:25 – 45:36 : Explaining the three levels pf governance : local ,
municipal ( marez) and zonal ( caracol )

45:30 – 46:30 : the school

46:30 – 49:40  : while many who receive govt pensions are happy, the
Zapatistas refuse such handouts and depend upon their own sweat and earnings
. Collective agriculture and animal husbandry and other occupations.
Collective decisions on what to do with earnings . Coffee cooperative

49:40 – 51:00 : general assembly ( not clear what level ) . Different tribes
getting together ( not so common before )

51:00 – 52: 50 :  Teacher talking about their gods and spirits, about how
they are appointed by community ,their autonomous schools , how they
willingly took voluntary outside help to set these up.

52:50 – 55:50 : their autonomy from national govt, their own birth
certificates and driver’s license,

55:50 - 57:30 : nice faces of various indigenous  people.

This is also a request for any films on Zapatistas which show more details
about their autonomous three tier governance , meetings at the local level,
decisions and actions at marez and caracol levels , their economy including
non agri-cooperatives, their schools and university and students engaged in
practical activities outside class, their health systems etc .

Sujit