[Bdi4emc-help] SATA drives and BDI

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 25 18:43:53 CET 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 10:31, Eric H. Johnson wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Are SATA drives not supported by the BDI? I successfully did an
> install etc. on a system with IDE drives, but now when I try to do it
> on one with SATA drives I immediately get the notice "No hard drives
> have been found. You probably need to manually chose device drivers
> for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers
> now?" The system does in fact have two SATA hard drives.
>
>I tried several of the options for installing drivers manually or
> custom setup, but the necessary drivers are never listed. However
> proceeding as far as I can with the install invariably ends up with
> the message "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on
> which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the
> cause of the problem."
>
>Any ideas?

Sata drives are another kettle of fish for us.  To be usable, the
correct drivers for the sata chipset on the motherboard will need to be
compiled directly into the kernel, along with the correct filesystems
drivers.  This is also true for ide/atapi stuff now.

I think it can be done, but I have not, no sata drives yet here at the
coyote.den domain.  It will require a kernel rebuild/reinstall after
re-configuring it.  That I do regularly anyway.