[Bdi4emc-help] BDI TESTING won't test

Chris Radek chris at timeguy.com
Wed Feb 15 18:18:15 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:00:13PM +0000, Paul wrote:

> The emc2 makefile contains a nasty fork bomb that will take your system down
> if you trigger it correctly.

If you've had a problem with the Makefile, a detailed bug report would
be appreciated.  Nobody else has reported a problem.

> Also, if you must do a "make install", make sure
> you have run configure with --prefix=/tmp lest you install over the top of
> one of the existing EMC libraries. The install target could very well trash
> your working EMC install

I do not recommend make install on BDI; run-in-place is available for
running EMC2 CVS on systems with existing EMC (including EMC2)
installations.

> and that emc2.deb will most certainly break a BDI-4
> system.

Thanks for mentioning that, Paul, the deb packages the EMC2 team are
building regularly from the EMC2 CVS have not been tested on BDI and
are not meant for use on BDI.  They are meant to make EMC2
installation and updating easy on Ubuntu 5.10.  Preliminary details,
for those interested, at http://timeguy.com/cradek/emc/ubuntu

Regards,
Chris