[Bdi4emc-help] BDI-4.38 suggestions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 27 15:40:53 CET 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 08:45, Paul wrote:
>Hi folks
>
>Working on a few minor issues related to the kernel packages, in
> particular, the need to have to mess around with the kernel-source
> tree before compiling any modules - An upgrade on the main build
> system has resulted in a shiny new set of key packages. The rtai-dev
> and kernel-headers packages are the only prerequisites for compiling
> kernel modules now.
>The change in the way kernel packages are produced has introduced a
> name change (kernel-image-2.6.12.6-magma is now
> linux-image-2.6.12.6-rtai) along with an increase in size for
> linux-headers-2.6.12.6-rtai (up by 1.4M). This is offset by dropping
> kernel-kbuild (355K).
>
>Mumblings from other quarters would suggest the addition of
> subversion to be useful, however, this adds another 1.4M to the
> final ISO. Along with the increase in size of the kernel packages,
> I'm at 630M for the ISO..
>
>Question: Is subversion worth the additional space, should something
> be dropped in it's favour, or should I forget about reserving space
> for emc2 ?

Well, if the new emc2 version is to be transfered from a cvs repo to an
svn repo, then I'm in favor of enough of a svn kit to be able to keep
it up2date.  As to what to drop, I'm not familiar enough to have any
really good, this could go, ideas.  As long as apt-get is there,
though, much of the rest of my concerns are only an ethernet cable
away.  I was disappointed that vim wasn't included in 4.30, but thats
fixable so its just me mewling about it at the end of the day.

I just wasn't aware that svn was being considered for the repo tool.
My experience with it has been positive though.

I hope you all had a merry Christmas, and will have a happy and
prosperous new year.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: