[Bdi4emc-help] Re: consequences of new OpenSSH...

Paul bdi-emc at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 24 13:57:52 CET 2005

Hi Gene & Kent

On Thursday 22 December 2005 00:04, Kent A. Reed wrote:
> >That was in that boxes /etc/ssh/sshd_config, where X11Forwarding was
> >set to no, changed it to yes, restarted the sshd daemon and up pops
> >the gif & tkemc.  Great!  Maybe bdi-4.31 can have that fixed?  hint,
> >hint :-)

> Gene and Paul: I think the remedy here is to create a post-installation
> script that checks for the proper setting. My experience with
> distributing customized versions of open-source software is that
> maintenance become a big headache as new versions of software components
> get downloaded and installed asynchronously by users.  (Given the
> frequency of security-related fixes, this happens a lot even on 'stable'
> systems.) To use this specific case as an example, I'd rather be able to
> overwrite an existing version of openssh with a new version---including
> possibly new configuration files that accomodate new variables---and
> then change the appropriate variables using the script, than have to
> remember to save off a customized configuration file, install the new
> version openssh, and then roll back the old configuration file with my
> fingers crossed that it still works with the new version of openssh.

The basic BDI-4 installation already uses a post-install script to tweak
certain settings and to correctly configure a couple of essential packages.
To add another section to the script would be possible, but as has been
pointed out, an upgrade to ssh could overwrite the X11Forwarding option and
then we would have complaints of a broken ssh package. My personal preference
is to keep auto-scripted tweaks to an absolute minimum and document
additional tweaks rather than forcing them on to everyone.

Regards, Paul.