[Bdi4emc-help] Re: Emc-users digest, Vol 1 #933 - 4 msgs

Kent A. Reed knbreed at erols.com
Thu Dec 22 01:04:41 CET 2005

On Saturday, Gene wrote to the emc-users list

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:36:08 -0500
>From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: [Emc-users] fresh install of emc2 question
>To: emc-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>
><<<blah blah blah>>>
>

>That was in that boxes /etc/ssh/sshd_config, where X11Forwarding was
>set to no, changed it to yes, restarted the sshd daemon and up pops
>the gif & tkemc.  Great!  Maybe bdi-4.31 can have that fixed?  hint,
>hint :-)

Gene and Paul: I think the remedy here is to create a post-installation
script that checks for the proper setting. My experience with
distributing customized versions of open-source software is that
maintenance become a big headache as new versions of software components
get downloaded and installed asynchronously by users.  (Given the
frequency of security-related fixes, this happens a lot even on 'stable'
systems.) To use this specific case as an example, I'd rather be able to
overwrite an existing version of openssh with a new version---including
possibly new configuration files that accomodate new variables---and
then change the appropriate variables using the script, than have to
remember to save off a customized configuration file, install the new
version openssh, and then roll back the old configuration file with my
fingers crossed that it still works with the new version of openssh.

>And its running, but obviously with the motor power turned off since I
>can't see it from here. :(  Too bad I can't set my movie camera up and
>run a firewire cable into here, about 110 feet & watch it in kino says
>me, thinking out loud. But I haven't checked the max distance for a
>firewire 400 cable.  And I've never seen an extension cable for
>firewire, has anyone else?

Cool idea. The IEEE 1394 (aka firewire) standard says 4.5m between nodes
is the maximum. I've heard of active extension cables that work with
powered hubs but I've never seen one. The descriptions make it sound
like you still have to string together 15-foot units. You'd probably be
better off streaming video through ethernet---10baseT has a 100m
limit---or using an IEEE 1294-to-fiber transceiver arrangement, which
can work over very long distances but starts sounding like real money
($600/pair of transceivers plus the price of the optical fiber). Still,
a cool idea.

Regards,
Kent