[AfH-Chapters] Volunteering

Tobias Polzin tobias.polzin at actionforhappiness.de
Wed Feb 12 10:30:56 CET 2020

Hi Gabi (and others),

in the chat you wrote: In the Czech republic the mindset towards
volunteering and giving substantial time for free is still not embedded
in the culture, mindset...if you would have any tips how to encourage
this, very happy to learn from you!

I wonder, if there aren't aspects of volunteering in the Czech culture,
eg. for sports or religious reasons, that could be a connecting point.
Possibly there are also organisations that organize volunteering. Google
showed me https://www.hest.cz/cz/o-hestia/about-us "The mission of
HESTIA is to promote and develop volunteering in Czech republic.".  I
don't know if they understand the same thing under volunteering, but it
could be a connecting point.

Somehow we have been listed in a volunteering agency in Hamburg, and we
receive volunteering requests from time to time from there. The problem
for me is: What to offer a remote volunteer that does not use more
organisational time ressources. In the service space TED talk, Nipun
Mehta suggests "let volunteers organize volunteers", but haven't found a
good way, how to do it, as it needs a decent overview over the mission
and the organisation to find an appropriate place for someone.

If you have any ideas regarding that, I would be very interested.

Best wishes

  Tobias

--
Ich werde versuchen, mehr Glück und weniger Unglück in der Welt um mich
herum zu stiften.