[Solar-general] Proprietary products , Ubuntu

Marcos Germán Guglielmetti marcos en ovejafm.com
Mar Ago 24 02:15:01 CEST 2010

Proprietary products

Enderandrew (866215) "You often praise proprietary, closed-source products on
your blog (especially products from Apple and IBM). What is your stance on
mixing proprietary and open products?"

 Matt: Ubuntu is about choice. While we believe that an operating system is
best developed with the source code openly available, that does not mean that
the applications running on it need to be restricted to only those using the
same development method. Our own users tell us, in large numbers, that they
would like to see apps become available from the likes of Adobe and the games
developers. On server the case is even more apparent where there are
excellent proprietary applications that we would love to make available to
Ubuntu users and we work to do that.

 We can't boil the ocean. We want people to adopt Ubuntu Linux, and part of
that requires us to support the applications that the mass market requires.
Our focus is to continue to provide the industry's best Linux experience, and
to make that Linux experience superior to any other platform. This process is
well underway, and will encourage more and more application developers to
port their software to Ubuntu.

 Along the way, we hope that others will follow our lead and open source their
software, but we intend to lead by example, not force-feed the industry.
Google, for example, is arguably putting more pressure on Microsoft's
closed-source approach than any amount of lobbying ever has or will. You can
argue that Google is only doing this out of self-interest, to which I
reply, "Exactly." Once the industry recognizes its self-interest in open
sourcing software, we'll have even more from which to choose.

 I love great software, whatever its license. But I joined Canonical because I
believe the open-source development model can create better software than
closed alternatives, and I'm determined to prove that.

http://interviews.slashdot.org/story/10/03/02/186206/Matt-Asay-Answers-Your-Questions-About-Ubuntu-and-Canonical?art_pos=8