[Solar-general] Fwd: [hipatia] Free Software in Kerala election

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Jue Mar 30 00:52:19 CEST 2006

Quizas alguien quiera participar en esto, en todo caso son buenas
noticias para el software libre, el que lo desee me avisa y lo ponemos
en contacto con Arun.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arun M <colonel.m en gmail.com>
Date: 29-mar-2006 11:07
Subject: [hipatia] Free Software in Kerala election
To: Coordinadores de Hipatia <coordinadores-hipatia en listas.hipatia.info>

Dear Hipatian's

  I wanted to share a happy news with all of you.
Kerala state in India is going to election next month.
Two major political forces are United Democratic Front
and Left Democratic Front. Yesterday LDF published their
election manifesto. It says that LDF will support use
and development of free software. It is first time
in India a political group publicly stating its
support for free software.

  History of Kerala elections and current political
situation in Kerala tells us that LDF is sure to win
in this election. If so we will have a major role
to play in IT sector of the state.

Kerala is a financially weak but general living condition
is better than many part of the world. This happened
because of several social movements including victory
of communist party in 1957 through ballot(some people
say it was first time in the world, but our communist
chief minister of that period says it is second). We have
been highligted by many economist including Nobel Laurate
Amartya Sen as an example of the fact that GDP doesnt have
much correlation with HDI.

Total Population 31,838,619 (Density : 819/sq km)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

In coming days I would like to request support from all of
you in participating and building a people centered IT Policy
and action plan for Kerala. We wont be able to put in
lots of fund. But we can put in people committed and active.
One interesting character of people form Kerala is that
you will be able to find one from Kerala in every corner of
the world ;) After reaching moon Niel Amstorng decided to
start his moon walk. He thought he is alone and was feeling bad.
Suddenly when he came out he found that there is a
Keralite (often called Malayalee) running Tea Shop there.

http://static.flickr.com/33/40772047_abbb2d10a1_m.jpg

With regards,
Arun.

Diego Saravia