[Solar-general] Argentina y Noruega

Sebastian Bassi sbassi en gmail.com
Mie Oct 19 19:11:25 CEST 2005

On 10/19/05, josx <josx at interorganic.com.ar> wrote:
> SI si aca tiro el sitio de JON para que podamos seguir la historia de
> cerca
> http://nanocrew.net/
> Todavia no posteo nada del asunto..

Recien me llego el boletin de Linspire. Dice que la empresa MP3Tunes
(http://www.mp3tunes.com/) que es del mismo duenio que Linspire,
contrato a "DVD Jon", para un proyecto llamado "Oboe", asi que DVD Jon
deja Noruega para trabajar en San Diego, USA.

Aca copio el boletin:

DVD Jon and Oboe
October 19, 2005

This week MP3tunes added a new employee - a Norwegian named Jon Lech
Johansen. He's half Polish - as you can probably tell from the "Lech"
in his name. Most people know him as "DVD Jon" for the software he
co-wrote when he was just 15 years old that allowed DVD movies to play
on his computer.

DVD Jon
He endured two trials over the DVD software. Although the trial was in
Norway, the legal case against him was orchestrated by MPA, the
European arm of the powerful U.S. movie organization called MPAA. He
willingly turned over the encryption key to unlock the contents of his
computer for the prosecution. They cross-examined him for days on the
stand using years of chat logs, out-of-context emails and even smiley
symbols in an attempt to paint him as a technology gangster. Anyone
who spends five minutes with Jon knows that this characterization is
not consistent with reality.

He was ultimately acquitted. Unlike in the United States, which has a
law against "double jeopardy" where you cannot be tried twice for the
same crime, in Norway a prosecutor can file an appeal and put a
defendant through another trial - which they did. He was acquitted
once again.

I've known Jon for a few years as an email acquaintance. I have always
admired his work and his strength to stand up for what he believes is
right. He doesn't advocate piracy, but does advocate consumers' rights
to manage their own purchased content. I told him that if he ever
needed my assistance to let me know.

A few months back I got an email from him saying he wanted to move to
the United States. We arranged to talk and had a subsequent
conversation over Gizmo Project while he was in Europe and I was in
San Diego. During that call I learned that he thought the
opportunities for him to work on consumer projects - specifically an
audio project - were much better in the States than in his home
country of Norway, which is much more focused on business software. He
was familiar with my companies and writings and thought we shared a
similar ideology.

Unknown to him, MP3tunes is in the midst of a project called Oboe to
bring digital music into the 21st century. I knew he'd be a great fit
for the team, so I quickly extended him a job offer. It took a few
months to process the immigration paperwork, but now he's living in
San Diego and working on Oboe.

Oboe is the code name for a significant new project we have underway
that will launch before the end of the year. It's as momentous as
anything I've ever done in my technical career, but I won't say more
since I despise vaporware. I know this project will be even better
with Jon on board.

Last Saturday, the Wall Street Journal ran a front page story about
Jon relocating to the United States. After that, he got plenty of job
offers from some of the biggest names in the technology business. I
talked to him over lunch today and asked if he wanted to work at those
other companies. "Not really," he replied in a typical minimalist
Scandinavian-style reply, forcing me to ask why not. "I want to work
on open systems, which is why I came to you."

He's going to like Oboe and so will you. Stay tuned.

-- Michael

--
web sin popups ni spyware: Usa Firefox en lugar de Internet
Explorer</a>