[Pppehrserver-law-eu] {Spam?} ever resourceful, argued that if they decided against the Populists, the h

Melchert interim at amuhf.com
Fri Jan 15 17:41:21 CET 2010

, he enlisted in the Union Army at the age of fifteen and served from
1862 to the end of the War. When peace came, he resumed his schooling,
attended college, studied law, and in 1869 was admitted to the bar. In
1884 he went to Madison County, Nebraska, where seven years later he was
elected district judge by the Populists. Reared in a family which had
been Republican, he himself had supported this party until the campaign
of 1890. "I have always," said he, "looked upon a political party simply
as a means to an end. I think a party should be held no more sacred than
a man's shoes or garments, and that whenever it fails to subserve the
purposes of good government a man should abandon it as cheerfully as he
dispenses with his wornout clothes." As Senator, Allen attracted
attention not only by his powers of physical endurance as attested by a
fifteen-hour speech in opposition to the bill for the repeal of the