[Pozarica-joel] {Spam?} Hop of Rochester. Willis tells us that there

Boie splayfoot at cre-atelier.nl
Tue Jan 19 11:03:59 CET 2010

Rd found on these escutcheons--_Houmont_--is still more puzzling. We
know that the Black Prince was wont to sign himself _Houmont, Ich
Diene_. Stanley explains the combination gracefully, but not very
convincingly. "If, as seems most likely, they are German words, they
exactly express what we have seen so often in his life, the union of
'Hoch muth,' that is _high spirit_, with 'Ich Dien,' _I serve_. They
bring before us the very scene itself after the battle of Poitiers,
where, after having vanquished the whole French nation, he stood behind
the captive king, and served him like an attendant." [Illustration: T