[P2P-F] Fwd: Food System Innovator’s Handbook released, stories of resilience and collaboration from Open Food Network

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:22:25 CEST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Open Food Network Australia <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au>
Date: Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 3:03 PM
Subject: Food System Innovator’s Handbook released, stories of resilience
and collaboration from Open Food Network
To: <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Recognition for our work in sustainable food systems, news from our annual
global gathering, Circular School Food Network and Open Food Connect news
Resilient food systems, Global Gathering 2020, team member introductions
and farewells, software updates and more!
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/e51798ce72cf/food-system-innovators-handbook-released-stories-of-resilience-and-collaboration-from-open-food-network?e=dcef30293f>

Greetings to our growing community of farmers, makers, researchers,
software developers, volunteers and eaters of good body and soul
feeding food! Together we have been busy growing the resilient and
connected food systems our communities need. Grab an apple and munch on
what we've been up to.
*Resilient food systems*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=b2e2760436&e=dcef30293f>

Are you hoping to or already leading initiatives to grow, share, sell and
consume more sustainable foods in your local context? The Food and
Agriculture Organization of the United Nations wrote this handbook
for “sustainable food systems innovators” like you.

Sustainable food systems are fundamental to ensuring that future
generations are food secure and eat healthy diets.

To transition towards sustainability, many food system activities must be
reconstructed. Creating change requires innovation and complex skill sets.

Open Food Network is highlighted as one of the tools making sustainable
food systems possible. Check out what else is available here
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=f0efdb201b&e=dcef30293f>
!
We're excited and honoured to have been recognised for our contribution to
community resilience this year, as a finalist for the Department of
Environment, Land, Water and Planning Community Resilience Award
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=6d981a02a9&e=dcef30293f>,
in the Victorian Regional Achievement and Community Awards. You can also
vote for us in the People's Choice Awards
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=faafd78cdd&e=dcef30293f>
!

But of course anything we do is so grounded in the community we work with.
And we are in awe of the many food enterprises in our community whose
resilience in the face of 2020 is inspiring. So thank you, to all those in
our community who model every day what resilience looks like.
*Open Food Network Global news*

Open Food Network is a truly global project. We've continued to grow this
year, and there are now Open Food Network local instances in 20 countries,
with more in development.

While we're in constant conversation with our global community, we also get
together in-person each year to work through strategic decisions and tricky
problems that are easier to sort out with lots of talking and planning.
This year, no travel meant that we were able to reimagine our global
gathering to be bigger, better, and more inclusive than ever!

It was an amazing opportunity to spend significant time with the richly
diverse community that makes up our global network.

We heard from one of Open Food Network Brasil's leaders, Thomaz, a food
systems academic based in Belo Horizonte. He shared that the previously
famed food policies in their region have been largely eroded under the
current government, and reminded us all to make as much progress in food
systems when a window of opportunity presents itself - as it currently is
with COVID-19.

Rafat, in Open Food Network Jordan, talked about challenges for farmers and
his vision of global trade enabled by Open Food Network. Davie, from Open
Food Network Ireland, helped us understand more about holacratic
governance. Hector and Hernan, who lead Open Food Network Colombia, shared
their wealth of experience in co-operatives, and explained the unique
challenges facing farmers in their region.

We will be releasing videos from the gathering soon, and we hope you'll
draw the same inspiration and solace from the fact that all over the world,
people are working collaboratively to build a new food system with open
source global commons at its core.
*New team members!*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=0d2e5b54b0&e=dcef30293f>

Meet our new team members, David and Sue :)

David Cook is our new software developer. He grew up in regional Victoria
before moving to Melbourne for university. He volunteered with Open Food
Network in 2013 and we are excited to have him back with us helping build
platforms to facilitate more local, independent food distribution.

Susan Earl, our new UX designer hails from New Zealand and has worked as a
UX designer for corporate and not-for-profits. She is also a film maker,
illustrator and sessional teacher and assessor for the RMIT Masters of
Animation program for the past 15 years! She is creating engaging screen
experiences for us.
*Thank you, Danni*

We have said goodbye this month to one of our much loved team members,
Danni, as she steps back from Open Food Network. Danni has been with us for
five years, and has brought immeasurable expertise and care to our work.
She has led development of projects and processes both in Australia and
with our global team.

For most of her time with us she was a volunteer, and Open Food Network has
always been balanced alongside other demanding roles. We’re excited for the
space to explore interests and ideas that having just one job (!) will
bring her, but we will miss her insight, curiosity and the pleasure of
working together.
*Software Updates*
*Release of the month*
Top of the release list for Sept/Oct is the long awaited feature allowing
Hub shopfronts to make customer names visible in their Producer
reports via SHOP
PREFERENCES
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=abee940fe8&e=dcef30293f>.
If this option is selected by the Hub, supplying Producers can now run
reports including hub customer names to assist with packing and fulfilling
orders.

*For the full list of releases this month, click below.*

*Christmas is coming*
Interested in learning about how to create hampers or gift vouchers for
your customers at Christmas? Get in touch
<hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au?subject=Hampers%20%26%20Gift%20Vouchers&body=Hi%20there%2C%0A%0AI'm%20interested%20in%20getting%20more%20information%20on%20how%20to%20create%20hampers%20or%20sell%20gift%20vouchers%20to%20my%20customers%20over%20Christmas%20-%20can%20you%20give%20me%20some%20more%20details%20on%20how%20this%20would%20work%20for%20my%20business%3F%0A>
for solutions specific to your business or to book a demo.
Read the full Software Newsletter
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=d9b4dca1ec&e=dcef30293f>
*Circular School Food Network*

The Open Food Network is proud to be on the Advisory Committee for the
Circular School Food Network. This great project is working towards
creating a circular school food system that remakes connections between
schools and farmers, to increase the flow of healthy, locally grown food to
school communities and support a vibrant local and regional food economy.

If you are a producer on the Open Food Network and would be interested in
learning more about creating connections with local schools, please register
your interest here
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=50cecb7299&e=dcef30293f>
.
*Open Food Connect*
Are you a producer with surplus produce? Or are you looking for new hubs
and places to sell on the Open Food Network? Are you a hub that is looking
to stock some flour but don't know where to get it? Are you trying to
connect with producers but not sure what's in your area?

Reach out to the Open Food Network and our brokering service will help
match supply and demand to get food where it needs to go. So far we've
helped:

   - Connect hubs with new dairy and beef producers
   - Connect producers with greens and flour looking for new hubs to sell
   through
   - Connect a community food enterprise looking for a chickpea supplier

If you are looking to sell, procure, or just want more info - get in touch!
Connect now
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=f7a4a79077&e=dcef30293f>
*Catch up*
Last week, Serenity Hill talked regenerative agriculture with TEDx
PermaQueer, covering the complex barriers and the pathways for
transitioning to regenerative agriculture such as collaborations between
consumers, farmers and food enterprises, solidarity and commons based
approaches to land and capital. Watch it here
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=650e9b795c&e=dcef30293f>
.

*Open Food Networkers in the news:*
The Tasmanian Producers Collective are using Open Food Network to open hubs
across the state
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=517e682167&e=dcef30293f>
.

McIvor Farm Foods switched to Open Food Network and replaced all of their
lost wholesale and hospitality sales with direct to customer retail.
They've now been able to open a new farmgate shop and butcher
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=8d45688a48&e=dcef30293f>
!

North Arm Farms spoke to their local media
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=6f0c2b31e6&e=dcef30293f>
about their awesome collaborative work in the Nambucca Valley, and how
they're using Open Food Network to build food sovereignty.

Food Connect in Brisbane feature in ABC Landline's video
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=3a728fb51a&e=dcef30293f>
about farmers coming together to sell their produce and customers getting
to know their farmers and where their food comes from.

*Other food systems news:*
We need to be building food systems that address the inequities in our
current system. Check out Sovereign Soil Farm
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=91f8f05adf&e=dcef30293f>,
who are currently raising funds to do just that! They're starting a
majority Blak and queer owned farm, and they need your support getting
started
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=54332d6d58&e=dcef30293f>
.
*Support us*

Our software is built and maintained with a huge amount of volunteer labour
and a small amount of funding. If you are excited by the work we're
currently doing, we would love it if you would consider a regular or
one-off donation. Sustainable Table are kindly auspicing donations to Open
Food Network so that your donation is tax deductible.
Make a donation
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=ea3071cfdc&e=dcef30293f>
As always, get in touch <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au> if you'd like to
learn more about the Open Food Network, or work together on a project
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=95e09db61e&e=dcef30293f>
.

Cheers,
The Open Food Network Australia team
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=3f005c693a&e=dcef30293f>
[image: Facebook]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=36ce52c98a&e=dcef30293f>
[image: Instagram]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=5dd58726be&e=dcef30293f>
[image: Twitter]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=1b9a0d4486&e=dcef30293f>
[image: LinkedIn]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=0eb69d31e0&e=dcef30293f>
[image: Website]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=f1fb732dff&e=dcef30293f>
[image: Email] <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au>
[image: GitHub]
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=203b57d58c&e=dcef30293f>
*Copyright © 2020 Open Food Network, All rights reserved.*
You can update your preferences
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/profile?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=9074f025e3&e=dcef30293f>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=9074f025e3&e=dcef30293f&c=b76142748a>

--
P2P Foundation: http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net <http://p2pfoundation.net>  -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

Updates: ; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Curation of news on p2p/commons developments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2p.open/