[P2P-F] Fwd: Hope emerges when we act (not vice versa)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:13:46 CEST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Post Growth Institute <info at postgrowth.org>
Date: Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:03 PM
Subject: Hope emerges when we act (not vice versa)
To: Michel <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

This month, the lives of some of our team here at the PGI have been turned
upside down by the unprecedented wildfires across the western US.
[image: Full Circle by the PGI]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=0e913be79b&e=34e5d8f0fd>
Dear Michel,

How can we remain hopeful in the face of vast challenges? How do we focus
on the positive without glossing over the struggles of others?

This month, the lives of some of our team here at the Post Growth Institute
(PGI) have been turned upside down by the unprecedented wildfires across
the western US. It's in such moments that we find often answers to these
difficult questions.

In our September newsletter, we *take heart from the hopeful words* of
23-year-old activist Malala Yousafzai, and share the story of how our own
Rogue Valley *community has stepped up to support its most vulnerable
members* in the aftermath of those devastating fires.

Plus, discover how *public services are making a global comeback* after a
period of privatization, and join the Progressive International's urgent
summit to *reclaim our shared future*.

In solidarity,
Inspiration: Cultivating hope in challenging times
[image: Malala Yousafzai]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=4934858632&e=34e5d8f0fd>
"Change is possible, but that requires us to act."

Malala Yousafzai is no stranger to adversity. In this video
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=829f195bce&e=34e5d8f0fd>,
the Pakistani activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner shares how she
cultivates hope in challenging times.

"I believe that change does not occur itself, somebody has to step out and
say something and do something, and that's how change happens."
* Watch Malala Yousafzai share words of hope during challenging times
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=437e61236f&e=34e5d8f0fd>.*
Reimagining Economics: Reclaim our shared future
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=381f7211cc&e=34e5d8f0fd>
Formed in May 2020, the Progressive International's mission is to unite,
organize, and mobilize progressive forces in a common front. It includes
groups that represent millions of people around the world.

Earlier this month, the PI's inaugural summit
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=1a61102d68&e=34e5d8f0fd>
set out to reclaim our shared future by mapping our current crisis and
strengthening our planetary front.

Catch up on YouTube as the likes of Nanjala Nyabola, Aruna Roy, Naomi
Klein, and Yanis Varoufakis call on progressive forces everywhere to act
quickly and decisively.
*Watch the inaugural summit of the Progressive International*
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=02a80deda1&e=34e5d8f0fd>.

Reorienting Organizations: The return of truly public services
[image: Re-municipilization]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=911d5de814&e=34e5d8f0fd>
All over the world, vital public services are being brought back into
public hands after a period of privatization, during which profit was put
before social need.

This interactive database
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=2a7d1a4390&e=34e5d8f0fd>
maps the emergence and flourishing of efficient public utilities and
services that provide livelihoods in sustainable, democratic, and
affordable ways.
*Explore the International Database of De-privatised Public Services.*
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=28c8bb9aa9&e=34e5d8f0fd>
Revitalizing Communities: Building back better in the aftermath of Southern
Oregon's Almeda Fire
[image: Ashland Bike Brigade]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=58be00dc37&e=34e5d8f0fd>
Community is so powerful.

As wildfires tore through the Rogue Valley, many residents were left
without water and electricity – and some even lost their homes.

Community groups quickly coalesced
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=3b42b5e187&e=34e5d8f0fd>
support people unable to leave their homes. In less than a week, they
assembled over 170 builders and 50 partners to build equitable community-
and family-owned housing for those in need.
*Read How Southern Oregon Communities are Working to Build Back Better
After the Almeda Fire.*
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=7761733e3c&e=34e5d8f0fd>
[image: PGI logo]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=ec8b8280d7&e=34e5d8f0fd>
[image: Facebook]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=10cd63e319&e=34e5d8f0fd>
[image: Twitter]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=ad65046654&e=34e5d8f0fd>
[image: Website]
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=dc35f0282d&e=34e5d8f0fd>
You can update your preferences
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=bc7edefbba&e=34e5d8f0fd>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://postgrowth.us2.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=dcc08996cc57fb1c3f5af62ec&id=bc7edefbba&e=34e5d8f0fd&c=77d9458953>
.

--
P2P Foundation: http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net <http://p2pfoundation.net>  -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

Updates: ; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Curation of news on p2p/commons developments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/p2p.open/