[P2P-F] Fwd: Workshop on global digital justice

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Jan 16 09:52:06 CET 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
Date: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 6:34 PM
Subject: Workshop on global digital justice
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>, ΕΙΡΗΝΗ ΠΡΙΑΒΟΛΟΥ <
e.priavolou at gmail.com>

Michel, pl do share the below outreach email in p2p groups that you are a
part of.. thanks, parminder

Dear All

Wishing you a great 2019!

Just Net Coalition <https://justnetcoalition.org/> plans a meeting between
March 25th to 27th in Bangkok as a strategic get together of groups
interested in issues of equity and social justice in the digital era. The
plan is to shape and take forward a global digital justice agenda, working
together as a network. This is also meant to further develop and strengthen
the Just Net Coalition . The workshop is titled* "Equity and Social Justice
in a Digital World: An Inter Sectoral/ Movements Dialogue for a Digital
Justice Agenda". *

Participants will come from (1) organisations that are already engaged with
digital issues and (2) traditional civil society groups that have begun to
feel the digital impact and pressure on their work, and would like to
understand the digital better, from a progressive point of view, and
collaborate in developing a global digital justice agenda. With a digital
justice agenda we mean working equally on civil and political rights side
as on social, economic and cultural rights. A datafied state is a major
threat, but so is data discrimination by the private sector and a big
corporation driven data economy that further concentrates wealth and power,
within and across societies. Social and economic justice is a key part of
this effort, which need to be brought to the centre stage of digital
activism. This is also attempt to built bridges between digital activism in
the geo-political South and North.

Participants will mainly be groups that are already engaged in or with the
Just Net Coalition in various ways. But we are eager to also include groups
and people that we may not yet be in contact or engaged with, but who are
eager to work on social and economic justice issues in a digital context.
Such a commitment should be central to such groups/ people's work for them
to fruitfully work with JNC and its various partners.

This email is an outreach to such groups/ people who may want to engage
with us with regard to this initiative of Just Net Coalition, and possibly
work with us on these important issues. The accent is to work primarily
with organisations because the effort is to develop a strong and
sustainable civil society constituency in this area. However, we are open
to also dialogue with committed individuals with demonstrated work in these
areas.

As mentioned, this is a strategic get together, and invitation to the
meeting is selective, as per various mentioned criteria. But please do not
at all hesitate to ping us , ask questions or clarifications. We need a
lots of us to work together for social justice in the digital age.

We would normally expect any additional participant to be able to
self-fund, but in a few select cases we may  be able to offer funding
support.

Since the meeting is not that far off, if you are going to write to us,
please do it asap.

Best regards

parminder

IT for Change <http://www.itforchange.net/>