[P2P-F] Fwd: [bgcon] "Criminalization of Climate Activism"

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Dec 14 06:03:28 CET 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Krystian Woznicki <kw at berlinergazette.de>
Date: Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:54 PM
Subject: [bgcon] "Criminalization of Climate Activism"
To: <digi-yards at berlinergazette.de>

Hi,

we would like to draw your attention to the ongoing criminalization of
climate activism. Of course, this is not a new story. Environmental
activism has been considered as causing 'terror' for many decades
already. However, nowadays we are facing a new movement of movements –
an almost unprecedented mobilization of civil society. And the function
of criminalization gains a particular relevance in this context, last
but not least as a way to destroy solidarity among climate activists.

At the MORE WORLD conference, one workshop group dedicated itself to a
project on the causes of #HambiBleibt – a protest movement against coal
mining in Germany whose members are facing criminal charges. The MORE
WORLD workshop group in question produced a solidarity video with Sudesh
Mishra from Fiji:
https://projekte.berlinergazette.de/workshops/2019/11/01/climate-action-we-dont-shut-up/

You can donate to the #HambiBleibt initiative here:
https://hambachforest.org/?noredirect=en_US

Yesterday an email by a distant friend and neighbor of the Berliner
Gazette came in: artist and activist Oliver Ressler, who is one of 90
people who participated at a blockade of Bílina coal mine in Northern
Bohemia in the Czech Republic in June 2018, against who the company
Severočeské doly ("North Bohemian Coal Mines") filed a lawsuit at the
City Court in Chomutov.

There is a fundraising campaign running to cover the cost of the court
case and attorneys, so please feel free to share and donate:
https://www.darujme.cz/projekt/1201737?locale=en

This is Oliver's statement that has been published in Czech translation
on social media as part of the defense campaign:

"In times of climate breakdown, when the Amazonas is on fire and Venice
under water, when the Arctic ice is melting and ecosystems collapsing,
the ongoing extraction from the Earth of coal and gas must be seen for
what it is: a crime against humanity. The blockading of coal mines and
other fossil infrastructure is therefore an entirely legitimate form of
self-defense: an attempt to protect humanity, ecosystems and all forms
of life on planet from even greater damage. Whatever particular reasons
led people to join the blockade, they are sure to have been good
reasons. Speaking personally, my reason is that as an artist and
film-maker I have followed the climate justice movement for the last
couple of years, documenting the ever-evolving forms of mass civil
disobedience and amplifying the voices of climate activists in films and
other artworks. To be among such committed people is constantly
inspiring. I hope my work can help at least in some small way to share
these shining moments of climate action with people who are not yet part
of it. My involvement in the blockade of the Bílina coal mine in 2018
resulted in the film “Everything's coming together while everything's
falling apart: Limity jsme my” (4K, 10 min., 2019), which is the fifth
film in a cycle of films on climate action. It can be watched in
exhibitions, biennials and screenings, or through following this link:
https://vimeo.com/293150164 (password: Northern Bohemia)" Oliver Ressler
(oliver at ressler.at)

Stay tuned,

Krystian (for the BG team)

BG – Berliner Gazette | since 1999 | http://berlinergazette.de

MORE WORLD – How can we cooperate across borders to tackle climate change?
BG’s 20th anniversary conference – October 10-12, 2019 – ZK/U
https://more-world.berlinergazette.de

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/