[P2P-F] Fwd: A faster Open Food Network platform, Olivier De Schutter joins Open Food Network, and a resource for funding sustainable food systems

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Aug 28 10:46:55 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Open Food Network Australia <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au>
Date: Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:44 AM
Subject: A faster Open Food Network platform, Olivier De Schutter joins
Open Food Network, and a resource for funding sustainable food systems
To: <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Open Food Network updates and opportunities
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/openfoodnetwork/a-faster-open-food-network-platform-olivier-de-schutter-joins-open-food-network-and-a-resource-for-funding-sustainable-food-systems?e=84860b0e46>

Hi there!
It's almost spring, and here at Open Food Network Australia it feels like
it - we have new projects and exciting developments popping up all over the
place! Scroll to read more about a major upgrade to the Open Food Network
platform, our newest ambassador, a briefing which helps community food
enterprises make the case for funding, and more.
*A faster, more efficient Open Food Network*

Over the years we’ve been running Open Food Network we’ve been working
tirelessly to build the tools that food enterprises need to succeed. With
our tiny, part time development team working remotely in the UK, Australia,
Catalonia, Portugal, Philippines and France, and with people running food
enterprises all around the world, we’re working together to build common
infrastructure to power our food sovereignty!

For much of this time we’ve focussed on features like subscriptions, and
product import. But the time came for us to spend some time focussing on
some of the underlying infrastructure. We've just finished a major
upgrade to the performance of Open Food Network and we can now start to
reap the rewards, with massive speed improvements:
[image: The shops page is 92% faster, The maps page is 98% faster, The
Admin-Order Cycle page is 70% faster]
Along with improved performance, the release of this upgrade includes some
user experience improvements, and a security update.

You can read more about the upgrade on our site
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=94d7f5d611&e=84860b0e46>,
along with the news of what the next exciting features in the pipeline are.
*Our new Australian website*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=2fff8904ab&e=84860b0e46>
We recently did a major overhaul of our information website that sits
alongside our platform. You can still find the platform at
openfoodnetwork.org.au
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=b9b218d53d&e=84860b0e46>
but you can also see all of our other resources and Open Food Network
Australia work at *about.openfoodnetwork.org.au*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=404a7141a9&e=84860b0e46>
*Our new global website*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=dac9bb4d85&e=84860b0e46>
We have also completed an overhaul of our global *Open Food Network website
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=9a54dd8a80&e=84860b0e46>*.
Check it out to read more about how the Open Food Network is used around
the world, and how our global teams work together to create the shared
infrastructure needed to power a new food system.

Check it out at *openfoodnetwork.org
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=0a4f979293&e=84860b0e46>*
*Welcome, Olivier De Schutter*
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=1eb687d83e&e=84860b0e46>

We are thrilled to welcome Olivier De Schutter, former Special Rapporteur
on the right to food, as our newest Open Food Network ambassador. He says:

“I am very proud to be an Open Food Network Ambassador. For me, the Open
Food Network is an essential tool because it enables the different eaters
of a given territory or community, to connect and build initiatives
together.

It helps connect these eaters directly with local producers, enabling them
to support the emergence of local agrifood systems.

This virtual highway is a common resource, using the potential of digital
media to connect these communities of eaters and farmers – working together
for food sovereignty. It’s absolutely essential for these alternative
systems to develop. This tool enables everyone to contribute to fill in
information, that can be used to grow this virtual community, gathering
connections and strength until finally it is the new mainstream agri-food
system."

Watch the interview with Olivier
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=daac4069dc&e=84860b0e46>
to hear the three rules he uses to guide his food choices, and why he
thinks the Open Food Network is so important to building a better food
system.
*Helping food enterprises operate efficiently*
We recently spent a day at the Harcourt Organic Farming Co-op helping them
design systems that work for them, and setting up a whole host of solutions
to help get their software systems talking to each other, and enabling
collaboration with all of the producers in their group.

We'll report back soon with what we created, but if you're interested in
doing something similar, get in touch <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au>.
*Sustainable food systems briefing*
Open Food Network's food systems consultancy
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=282a8c63b6&e=84860b0e46>
has
undertaken a range of research projects this year, including developing the
Sustainable Food Systems Philanthropic Briefing for the Australian
Environmental Grantmakers Network.

Read more and download the briefing on our website.
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=1a889b9ef1&e=84860b0e46>

The briefing is part of our commitment to sector development, and helps
grant-givers understand the complexities of sustainable food systems, and
where philanthropy can make a difference.

It can also be used as evidence by those applying for funding, and gives a
handy summary of mechanisms for change.
*Research about Open Food Network*
We build open source tools and resources that are part of a global commons
- with people contributing to that work from all around the world. Our
successes in developing new ways of working for a new, fairer economy have
triggered interest from numerous researchers. Currently we have two PhD
students focusing on Open Food Network:

Genevieve Shanahan
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=2c75fc0fbe&e=84860b0e46>
studies alternative organisations at the Grenoble Ecole de Management. Her
PhD thesis focuses on "how radically democratic organising might mobilise
the affordances of technology to establish a sustainable and ethical
alternative to the current economic system, specifically the global food
system." According to Gen, Open Food Network offers an invaluable key case
study in this regard.

Adam Moore
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=92af4f15eb&e=84860b0e46>
is a cultural geographer at the University of Melbourne. Adam’s research
seeks to understand the complexities of how those involved with the Open
Food Network work together to develop and care for its software, resources
and ways of working. In doing so, the research will contribute to a broader
public discussion about the potential for achieving more progressive labour
politics through digital platform cooperatives.

We're thrilled to have their insights contributing to our work and broader
conversations.
*Thanks for reading! *
As always, get in touch <hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au> if you'd like to
learn more about the Open Food Network, or work together on a project.

Cheers,
The Open Food Network Australia team
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=88c32cefbc&e=84860b0e46>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=87517ac3c5&e=84860b0e46>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=30313410c4&e=84860b0e46>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=6ac987ce48&e=84860b0e46>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=6bfb2561f8&e=84860b0e46>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=25fad691d7&e=84860b0e46>
<hello at openfoodnetwork.org.au>
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=b998a4554f&e=84860b0e46>
*Copyright © 2019 Open Food Network, All rights reserved.*
You can update your preferences
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/profile?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=9074f025e3&e=84860b0e46>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://openfoodnetwork.us13.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6752bbf142dc0ebe3b69c4473&id=9074f025e3&e=84860b0e46&c=488e278ab9>