[P2P-F] Fwd: How Facebook is Undermining Democracy - Prof. Siva Vaidhyanathan

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jul 30 09:10:03 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Crowl <culturalengineer at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 2:57 PM
Subject: How Facebook is Undermining Democracy - Prof. Siva Vaidhyanathan

Human tribalism is connected to human biology. Intellectual altruism alone
cannot overcome our biological tribalism and its limits. It is bound by in
group/out group demarcations and may well be a human necessity. (Do we NEED
"out groups" to define ourselves?)

I call this the "Altruism Dilemma" ... a problem that can be addressed..
but not eliminated.

Techno optimism (the idea that either universal 'connection' or universal
'abundance' will result in universal wisdom or peace) is false. The
altruism dilemma must be recognized and addressed.

>From C-Span Book TV:
*How Facebook is Undermining Democracy - Prof. Siva Vaidhyanathan*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3WDsjOmEXg

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3WDsjOmEXg>
Not from C-Span TV:
*Issues in Scaling Civilization: The Altruism Dilemma*
http://culturalengineer.blogspot.com/2012/02/issues-in-scaling-civilization-
altruism.html

*Tom Crowl*
http://CulturalEngineer.blogspot.com