[P2P-F] class analysis of the token economy, part 2

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jan 12 16:10:09 CET 2018

thanks james,

I see a parallel of what is happening with this labor aristocracy with what
happened to the engineering class in the late 19th cy ... part of these
post-artisans where coopted by capital .. ; the difference today is as you
say that the ecological crisis makes it a tragedy ...

the good news is here, i.e. how close the new generative social movements
are to our own analysis and recommendations,

see:

 (
http://www.interfacejournal.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Interface-9-1-Pleyers.pdf
)
Excerpts[edit
<https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/index.php?title=Local_Food_Movement_in_Belgium&action=edit&section=2>
]On the political origins of the movement[edit
<https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/index.php?title=Local_Food_Movement_in_Belgium&action=edit&section=3>
]

"The current renewal of local food networks in Western Europe, and notably
in France (Zimmer, 2011), Italy (Toscano, 2011) and French-speaking Belgium
finds its roots in the alter-globalization movement in the early 2000. In
France, the new local food network setting, AMAP2, was launched in 2001 by
small peasants and a local section of the alter-globalization network ATTAC
and was directly inspired by the US groups for “Community Supported
Agriculture”.

In Liège, two social and cultural centres particularly active in the local
alterglobalization movement were also among the first ones to start direct
purchase groups for local food. The “Beau Mur” hosts both the local section
of ATTAC and one of the larger group of local food consumers in town. It
gathers over 80 families every Tuesday. A frontrunner of the local
alter-globalization movement and the heart of the "Social Forum in Liège"
in mid-2000s, the autonomous social and cultural centre "Barricade3"
launched its “GAC” as early as 1999. It organizes a dozen talks a year
about food, denouncing the hold of transnational corporation over food and
pointing to concrete alternatives. In 2013, Barricade was again the main
initiator of a new model of local food network: the “Liège Food-Earth Belt”
(“Ceinture Aliment-Terre Liégeoise”, see below). It involves dozens of
actors from different sectors and promotes the production and local food
consumption.

As I have showed elsewhere (Pleyers, 2010: 35-105) Barricade and most of
the local food initiatives emerged in a specific part of the
alter-globalization movement, bathed in a culture of activism4 that focuses
on prefigurative activism, personal subjectivity and a concept of change
rooted in everyday life."
Scaling through swarming[edit
<https://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/index.php?title=Local_Food_Movement_in_Belgium&action=edit&section=4>
]

"Rather than enlarging its various groups, many groups thus opt for
“emulation” (Tarde, 2001) and “swarming” rather than a growing organization
(Pleyers, 2010: 93): “We don’t seek to build a big organization but many,
many small organizations, each maintaining its specificities.” By doing so,
they hope to maintain convivial and participatory group dynamics and to
counter the trend towards institutionalization that usually characterizes
civil society organizations and solidarity economy projects. When a group
grows, the interpersonal dimension progressively gets lost and the
separation between the project entrepreneurs and the more passive
“consumers” widens. These actors lead us to reconsider the importance of
local level in a globalized world."

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/