[P2P-F] thinking true meta-governance and the gaps in p2p theory regarding the household economy

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 21:13:47 CEST 2017

IMO the boundary between the household and the larger informal/social
economy is very permeable. The nuclear family household is relatively
recent and artificial, and to a considerable extent encouraged by 20th
century capitalism's promotion of social atomization which reduced the
household to the smallest possible size which would still socialize
the costs of reproducing labor-power and the culture of obedience
without providing a potential base for cost-, income- and risk-pooling
which might increase the bargaining power of labor. It's quite likely
that as total labor hours decline and precarity increases, we'll see a
lot more not only of multi-generational houses but of multi-family
cohousing, micro-villages and the like that internalize an increasing
share of direct production for use.