[P2P-F] A globa-local synthesis of a possible city-supported public-commons partnership for climate- friendly and ecologically balanced provisioning systems

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Oct 4 07:35:18 CEST 2017

this is the very last section of our report which will come out soon with
the Boll foundation:

3.6. Towards a global infrastructure for commons-based provisioning

We have argued in this overview that we are in a conjuncture in which
commons-based mutualizing is one of the keys for sustainability, fairness
and global-local well-being. In this conclusion, we suggest a global
infrastructure, in which cities can play a crucial role.

See the graphic below for the stacked layer that we propose, which is
described as follows:

   -

   The first layer is the cosmo-local institutional layer. Imagine global
   for-benefit associations which support the provisioning of infrastructures
   for urban and territorial commoning. These are structured as global
   public-commons partnerships, sustained by leagues of cities which are
   co-dependent and co-motivated to support these new infrastructures and
   overcome the fragmentation of effort that benefits the most extractive and
   centralized ‘netarchical’ firms. Instead, these infrastructural commons
   organizations co-support MuniRide, MuniBnB, and other applications
   necessary to commonify urban provisioning systems. These are the global
   “protocol cooperative” governance organizations.
   -

   The second layer consists of the actual global depositories of the
   commons applications themselves, a global technical infrastructure for open
   sourcing provisioning systems. They consists of what is globally common,
   but allow contextualized local adaptations, which in turn can serve as
   innovations and examples for other locales. These are the actual ‘protocol
   cooperatives’, in their concrete manifestation as usable infrastructure.
   -

   The third layer are the actual local (urban, territorial, bioregional)
   platform cooperatives, i.e. the local commons-based mechanisms that deliver
   access to services and exchange platforms, for the mutualized used of these
   provisioning systems. This is the layer where the Amsterdam FairBnb and the
   MuniRide application of the city of Ghent, organize the services for the
   local population and their visitors. It is where houses and cars are
   effectively shared.
   -

   The potential fourth layer is the actual production-based open
   cooperatives, where distributed manufacturing of goods and services
   produces the actual material services that can be shared and mutualized on
   the platform cooperatives.

[image: Figure 8.png]

Figure 8: City-supported cosmo-local production infrastructure

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/