[P2P-F] Fwd: Money for the People (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 08:10:18 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Great Transition Network <gtnetwork at greattransition.org>
Date: Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:11 AM
Subject: Money for the People (GTN Discussion)
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

>From Mary Sue Schmaltz <marysue at igc.org>

[Moderator’s Note: As you may have noticed, the GTI site was down for a few
days. Thankfully, we’re back up and running. Note that the discussion ends
on MONDAY, JULY 31st (one week from tomorrow), although we may extend it
due to the glitch. – JC]

Mary Mellor's exploration of the nature of money and its role in the
diminishment of socially and environmentally relevant values is well taken.
Active participation from local, regional and national governments will be
imperative to any endeavor to transform monetary structures. However, it
need not be expressly a centralized governmental function.

Currency expert Bernard Lietaer has long argued that we could re-design our
system of money in a manner that would be more socially beneficial if we
were to shift the money "target" away from the competitive model towards
more socially viable aims. Ultimately, Lietaer believes the answer lies in
designing complementary forms of local currencies to work in tandem with
our conventional currency systems. Lietaer also introduced the idea of a
global currency called the Terra, which would be comprised of a combination
of various commodities and international services. Creating a standardized
basket of the prominent commodities and services, he believes, would
incentivize long term thinking and would better stabilize the global
business cycle as it would be more inflation-proof.

In line with Mellor's idea of public money is the idea of utility banking.
Banking expert Martin Mayer notes the significance of banks no longer
acting as social institutions rooted in their communities with direct
relationships to their depositors and borrowers. Now banks are businesses
who sell off their loans severing the relationship between borrower and
lender while shifting risks onto the public. Suzanne McGee in her book
Chasing Goldman Sachs likened the money grid to an electrical grid. Just as
we have electric and water utilities, McGee proposes that we need a banking
utility. When liquidity dries up, it can be just as devastating as a water
or electrical shortage. Playing off the proposed public option for health
care, Ellen Brown in her book Web of Debt suggests that we consider a
public option in banking. Instead of taking profits out of the community
system, the public banking system would be better positioned to reinvest in
the community. An example of such a
successful regional bank already exists – the Bank of North Dakota, which
is owned by the state.

It is vital that we directly address not just the creation and control of
the currency itself, but the whole system of money and finance - including
accounting rules, taxation, regulations and other metrics which incentivize
or discourage certain types of activities. Rana Foroohar in her book Makers
and Takers: The rise of Finance and the Fall of American Business, does a
great job of examining how the incremental rise of hyper- financialization
and commodification have diverted resources away from activities that
promote overall well-being.

Former British banking regulator and chairman of the Institute of New
Economic Thinking, Adair Turner, in his book Between Debt and the Devil,
notes that a mere 15% of the global financial flows are applied to the real
productive economy. The rest relates to fabricated values derived from
financial engineering and manipulations, divorced from the real productive
economy of products and services. These values are truly representative of
the "something from nothing" to which Mellor refers. It's not just that
financial values are widely disconnected from human and ecological values.
These values are not even in line with sound economic values. When
companies such as Apple borrow funds to buy back shares in order to
artificially prop up its share price rather than innovate, the distortion
becomes obvious.

Exacerbating the distancing of economic values from life-affirming values
is the fact that finance today is driven by complex algorithms.
Quantitative expert Paul Wilmott has been sounding the alarm loudly about
the role of complex algorithms in financial risk and value distortion. Per
Wilmott: "If you used the wrong model to design airplanes, you'd kill
passengers and end up in prison. But do the people using financial risk
models care what happens? Of course they don't." Value at Risk, the
dominant risk measurement used by the financial industry certainly proved
fatal to global financial health leading up to the financial crisis of
2008. Skewed financial modeling is still the driving force of economic
values. (Paul Wilmott just co-authored a new book with Paul Orrell which
was just released entitled The Money Formula: Dodgy Finance, Pseudo
Science, and How Mathematicians Took Over the Markets , which I'm sure will
add new insights to this debate.)

We also need to be careful not to simply monetize certain altruistic or
caring activities. Technology exists today for exchange systems which make
it possible to maintain the integrity of such activities. For example,
BiologicTx, has developed a kidney transplant chain, whereby the system
identifies willing donors to compatible matches without financial gain. Say
a person needs a kidney transplant and a loved one would readily offer one
of their kidneys, but they are found to be biologically incompatible. The
altruistic intent remains intact to mutual benefit as the willing donor is
still giving a kidney to get a kidney for their intended recipient. As we
struggle with financing the needs of our aging populations, we might
consider a Japanese approach known as the fureai kippu, which roughly
translates into “caring relationship voucher.” People volunteer as
caregivers to the elderly and receive credits.

All in all, I very much appreciated Mary Mellor's paper which offers a
great starting point for delving deeper into discussions about the monetary
system. How do we connect people to services and products? How do we
preserve the quality and create universal access to life-giving resources?
What will be the new nature of livelihoods and market participation in this
era of automation and worker obsolescence? We can begin by linking
financial values to real life on the ground. Local circles of economic
activity should be nested within the global system, but not smashed down by
the top-heavy nature of our dominant money systems.

Mary Sue Schmaltz
marysue at igc.org

-----