[P2P-F] Fwd: [platformcoop-discuss] Beyond "Diversity:" Design Justice & Platform Cooperativism?

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Aug 15 09:35:50 CEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante at ecobytes.net>
Date: Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Subject: Fwd: [platformcoop-discuss] Beyond "Diversity:" Design Justice &
Platform Cooperativism?

I believe this message from a public mailing list (
https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/platformcoop-discuss)

sets forward well some of the challenges faced, in what I would describe as
a form of political recuperation of concepts and practices till then
remaining mostly within certain subcultures.

I will highlight this excerpt :

"   Design takes place everywhere, but particular sites are valorized as
ideal-type locations for design practices. There is a growing literature
about, and increased discussion of, real world practices within
hackerspaces, hackathons, and design challenges.

*There has been a steady shift away from hacklabs as explicitly politicized
spaces at the intersection of social movement networks and geek communities
(Maxigas, 2012). Instead, startup culture and neoliberal discourses of
individual mastery and entrepreneurial citizenship have largely colonized
hackerspaces (Irani, 2015), even as city administrators have leveraged
technofetishism to create ‘innovation labs’ at the city level.* At the
same time, there has been a more recent move towards intentional
diversification of hacker and makerspaces, specifically along lines of
gender, race, and sexual orientation. Examples include Liberating
Ourselves Locally, Double Union, and more.

*However, in addition to the diversification of hacklab participants,
design justice requires a broader cultural shift, back towards intentional
linkage of these spaces and their practices to social movement networks. We
must interrogate the ideals, discourse, and practice of hackathons and
design challenges: what do people think or pretend hackathons do, and what
really happens at hackathons? How do we imagine them as more intentionally
liberatory and inclusive sites where design justice principles and
practices can be implemented?*  How do institutions frame ‘problems’ for
designers to
‘solve’ in ways that systematically invisibilize structural inequality,
history, and community strategies of innovation, resilience, and
organized resistance? Examples might include Hurricane Hackers, Occupy
Data Hackathons, MigraHack, and TransHack, as well as the DiscoTech
model (pioneered by the Detroit Digital Justice Coalition) and the Make
the Breast Pump Not Suck hackathon. Ultimately, we also need a shift
from deficit to asset based approaches to design scoping, and for the
formal inclusion of community members in design processes during scoping
and ‘challenge’ definition phases of a design cycle, not only during the
‘gathering ideas’ or ‘testing our solutions’ phases.  "