[P2P-F] Fwd: Journey to Earthland (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:03:18 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Great Transition Network <gtnetwork at greattransition.org>
Date: Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM
Subject: Journey to Earthland (GTN Discussion)
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

>From Robert Corell <corellrobert at gmail.com>

[Moderator's Note: Just wanted to remind people that the discussion period
will close on OCTOBER 31. Looking forward to your contributions!]

Dear Paul and GTN members:

This essay, Paul’s deeply searching piece on JOURNEY TO EARTHLAND: The
Great Transition to Planetary Civilization, raises precisely the issues
which must be addressed. The central philosophical question that I think
underpins the entire piece, as he notes: "Second, it focuses on the
critical question of collective action, whereby a vast and plural 'global
citizens movement’ becomes the key social actor for carrying the
transformation forward.” You all have read this very carefully and the many
contributions will lead to a deeper understanding of this concept of
collective action. History gives us a pathway on the global scale: "As
national citizenship once dissolved barriers within states, global
citizenship could reduce divisions between them, and thereby bridge the
chasm between obsolete twentieth-century structures and stark
twenty-first-century realities.” In the 21st Century world in which all
humankind and all living species are now living in and affected by each
other’s actions in the Global Commons, with the collective action concept,
is it possible that there is the potential of actions for the common good?

I have benefited from your (i.e., from the GTN members) many and
constructive ideas, which have been deepening the construct of the
collective action and the other foundational ideas in this essay. The
connections and interdependencies between the Collective Action Concept and
the Global Commons, for me are the foundations for Paul's the Earthling.

But here’s the policy and political reality, as just listening to the
current Presidential election illuminates, which drives many in our nation
to see the challenges to national autonomy and national security as
articulated in this UN Task Force Study (www.un.org/en/development/
desa/policy/untaskteam_undf/thinkpieces/24_thinkpiece_global_governance.pdf):
Global governance and governance of the global commons in the global
partnership for development beyond 2015, which states the practical
barriers to moving anything towards the collective action concept and the
global commons, here’s the quote from that Task Force study:

"As the world becomes more interdependent, global governance, including
global economic governance and the governance of the global commons, is
increasingly relevant for achieving sustainable development. Deepening
economic globalization, and increasing migration, trade and capital flows,
and climate change and increased activities in the global commons – those
resource domains that do not fall within the jurisdiction of any one
particular country, and to which all nations have access – make individual
States more susceptible to policies adopted by others. Therefore, increased
coherence, coordination and collective decision-making at the global level,
grounded in international human rights standards and guided by the human
rights commitments of the international community, are necessary. Yet,
government policies and international arrangements for collective decision
making have not kept pace with these changes.

"The new global partnership for development in the post-2015 development
framework provides an opportunity to address these global economic, social
and environmental issues in a coordinated, coherent and collaborative
manner. In this way, the global partnership can promote a more effective,
coherent, representative and accountable global governance regime, which
should ultimately translate into better national and regional governance,
the realization of human rights and sustainable development."

Even with this and many other barriers toward Paul’s Earthland, efforts
such as this GTN and GTI effort to posit and argue for an acceptance in the
principles of and acceptances that leads humankind towards the collective
action concept and the global commons.

Best to all,

Bob

*******************************

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Great Transition Network wrote:
>From Paul Raskin

-----
Dear Friends:

Our series of thematic discussions has been uncommonly rich and animated.
Still, from time to time we’d best step back to a whole-system panorama,
lest we lose sight of the forest for the trees. After all, it is the big
question of how to shape the global social-ecological future that brings us
together.

In that holistic spirit, our next discussion will consider my new
essay—“Journey to Earthland: Making the Great Transition to Planetary
Civilization” (or “JTE,” for short). I wrote it as a sequel to “Great
Transition,” the 2002 treatise that launched GTI. The new volume has four
central aims. First, it updates and develops GTI’s overarching conceptual
framework. Second, it introduces the idea of “Earthland” for the latent
supranational community now stirring in the Planetary Phase. Third, it
describes the integrated planetary praxis and global movement needed to
carry the transformation forward. Fourth, it paints a granular picture of
the kind of flourishing civilization that might await us on the far side of
a Great Transition.

To get your copy of JTE, go to www.greattransition.org/
publication/journey-to-earthland. From there, you can either download a
free pdf or order a paperback through Amazon for $12. (If neither of these
options works for you, please request a complimentary copy by emailing
info at tellus.org with your mailing address.)

In light of JTE’s sweeping scope, I suspect many of you will wish to
elaborate certain formulations and take issue with others. I welcome your
comments in the spirit of a collective exploration with ample room for
difference within a canopy of unity.

NOTE: This discussion will go on for TWO full months—SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER.

Looking forward,
Paul

Paul Raskin
GTI Director