[P2P-F] against absolute horizontalism ?

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Oct 26 06:49:58 CEST 2016

along with 'structure of world history' and the 'first european
revolution', this is perhaps the third book to have a profound influence on
my thinking and approach, i.e. Frederic Lordon's Imperium, reviewed here in
a not so open access article,
https://newleftreview.org/II/97/alberto-toscano-a-structuralism-of-feeling

why, because the message of Lordon is very simple and powerful:
horizontalism does NOT created enduring social structures, because if
association is totally free , people leave when their 'affects' change ...

only by introducing 'verticality', i.e. institutions, do groups who share
an affect become more permanent ... this means, radical horizontalism is as
illusionary as all-statism or market totalitarianism

just as challenging, Lordon maintains that globalism is impossible, as it
is not possible to unite all the people under one affect, so intermediary
institutions, like the nation-state, are very strong ..

he argues that other types of non-nation-state institutions, are in fact ,
also 'nations' of a sort, so I would conclude that the preference that we
show at the p2p foundation for such institutios is indeed an effort to
create a new type of 'nation', less bound by geography (except for the
virtual geographies of people who share an 'affect' for shared social
objects); Lordon would suggest that such new nations however, are unlike to
replace the older nation-state models ...

this seems a realistic aim to me: to add a new layer of governance and
institutions ...

I hope one day, I can debate this with Lordon,

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/