[P2P-F] Fwd: More than a thank you

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Nov 17 21:22:59 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Trebor Scholz <scholzt at newschool.edu>
Date: Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM
Subject: More than a thank you
To: Trebor Scholz <scholzt at newschool.edu>
Cc: Isabel Naturman <natui199 at newschool.edu>

*Dear all ,                                                          *November
17, 2016

Four days have passed since our event. I immediately jumped back into
teaching but now I have a moment to thank you for your contribution. But
this is more than the usual “Thank-Yous.”

More than 2000 people watched the video live stream and the archived videos
are now available here
<http://livestream.com/internetsociety/platformcoop2016> and in the Internet
Archive just like in previous years
<https://archive.org/details/platformcoop16>. In the end of this email, I’m
linking to a lovely *Shareable* article by Darren Sharp about our gathering.

A few photos taken on Friday by Christopher Chavez are available on Flickr
<https://flic.kr/s/aHskLp8Fa5>. And unsurprisingly, there are hundreds of
tweets at hashtag #platformcoop.
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/platformcoop?src=hash>

Before the end of the year, we’ll also make a short documentary on platform
cooperativism available to you.

Last week, the people who had committed to the consortium met
<http://platformcoop.newschool.edu/index.php/2016/10/31/directory-of-contributors/>,
got to know each other, and were able to start planning future actions. I
promised you that this consortium will not be another academic bullshit
center. And indeed, you will see concrete actions coming out of it in 2017
already.

Apart from the upcoming #platformcoop events in Melbourne, London, Québec,
Berlin, Naples, Barcelona, Boston, Amsterdam, as well as Brussels, all
scheduled for the winter 2016 and spring of 2017, we also made concrete
plans to establish legal foundations for platform co-ops in the United
States.

Out of our long list of planned activities on the Consortium website
<http://platformcoop.newschool.edu/index.php/activities/>, we will
prioritize three most urgent projects for 2017.

We also discussed and identified people who will be on the board of the
consortium. For now, these include Mayo Fuster, Six Silverman, Sasha
Costanza-Chock, Micky Metts, Felix Weth, Fredrik Soderqvist (still working
on him), and yours truly. The idea is to have representatives from unions,
academe, platform co-ops, policymakers, traditional co-ops, technologists,
and designers. Down the road we should vote on this. This group was not
elected.

Next, I’d like to invite all of you to financially support the Platform
Cooperativism Consortium. If you’d like to donate, just email me. It’ll be
a painless and quick process.  And on that front, I already have some good
news.

*#Platformcoop  newsletter*
It just took a few days, and we already managed to raise funds and hire one
half-time researcher who will start next week!

This person will 1) create a #platformcoop newsletter and distribute that
in our network, informing people of current developments in the ecosystem.
If you would like to feed this researcher information about your project,
we would really appreciate it. 2) This person will also work on fundraising
and communication (responding to people who need advice, connecting them,
etc), and 3) keep the platform.coop website up to date.

Do keep us updated about your events so that we can promote them on
platform.coop and cover stories about your projects.

*Feedback*
Gathering like ours always have the inevitable tension between squeezing in
as many relevant people/projects as possible while not creating an overly
exhausting schedule. As if that was not enough, this is also a meeting of
various cultures: technologists, scholars, social entrepreneurs, and policy
makers. I would appreciate if you send me some feedback: What worked well
and what could we do better in November 2017. I’d think, for example, that
we should have more focus on discussion throughout the event and a slightly
more relaxed schedule. Also let us know what you think about relatively
banal things like snacks and drinks. Was there enough of it and would you
have preferred other food? Did you think that the room worked out or would
you rather be in a more traditional auditorium?

When you send your feedback, please also include suggestions for speakers
for next year’s event already. Issues that I already identified for the
2017 event include cooperative investigative reporting (e.g., Banyan
Project, Positive News).

*Sponsor the 2017 Event *Please consider becoming a sponsor of next year's
event. So far we have a  $15,000 commitment from the university. That
covers coffee and bagels and the program. These events cost roughly
$35,000. If you are committed to these events, please let us know if your
organization or you personally could co-sponsor our next gathering.

As promised, you can read Darren's *Shareable* article here.
<http://www.shareable.net/blog/international-consortium-launched-at-second-platform-cooperativism-conference>

Thank you all for your contributions.

Warmest,
Trebor