[P2P-F] Fwd: Summary note on ECA and the First Meeting in Brussels

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Nov 4 07:32:36 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicole LEONARD <nicole.leonard at sciencespo.fr>
Date: Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:13 PM
Subject: Summary note on ECA and the First Meeting in Brussels
To: commonswatch at lists.p2pfoundation.net

*Summary note on European Commons Assembly’s First meeting in Brussels,
November 15 to 17 2016*

There are now less than two weeks to go until the first meeting of our
commencing European Commons Assembly process! Since there have been many
people getting involved over the past weeks and months, it’s good to share
some words on the background and process until now so that we have the same
understanding heading into the event, even if not everyone can attend in
person.

*Preamble to the initiative*

There was a preamble to our current gathering under the ECA call, which is
hosted on the website and open for signatures (http://
europeancommonsassembly.eu/). It was drafted at a meeting called together
on commons activism in Europe (then entitled Commons Watch), which took
place from 18-20 May 2016 at an organic farm in Villarceaux, some 40km
outside of Paris. The objective was then, as it continues to be today, to
bring together in a trans-local coalition those engaged with commons and
processes of commoning in different spheres.  Among other things, we want
to imagine together future concrete collective and collaborative actions
and campaigns in Europe. Ultimately, the goal is to come to a strong and
flourishing bottom up European political civil society movement for the
commons, which is able to articulate the commons also as a new policy
paradigm.

You can find documentation of the Villarceaux meetings here:
http://wiki.remixthecommons.org/index.php/CommonsWatch.

*The ECA assembly at the European Parliament*

In Villarceaux, we also discussed an opportunity to convene the ECA’s first
meeting in Brussels, with a session at the European parliament to be
organised in cooperation MEPS from the Intergroup on Common Goods and
Public Services.

Since the Villarceaux meetings, a lot has happened, including growing
numbers of you on our commonswatch email list where we have been
introducing ourselves (http://wiki.remixthecommons.
org/index.php/Commons_Watch/Bios), in smaller groups working towards the
Brussels meetings (including one on the ECA Assembly of Nov. 17th which
takes us beyond the EP assembly moment), and on our Loomio and hackpad
spaces, where we have among other things started to draft policy proposals
on the themes we are working on as practitioners and/or researchers.

Taking all this into account, our ECA assembly at the EP on the 16th is a
moment in our process where we want to engage in a participatory meeting
with MEPs, to point to the potential of the Commons as a policy paradigm.
We will identify together a few themes and issues (as we only have a short
time at the EP) that need to be addressed on an EU level, and how MEPs can
engage in this. At large there is a will to point to the relevance of the
ECA at the EP level, and to address possible cooperation between the MEPs
and the ECA beyond the assembly on the 16th.

And in the trans-local spirit, on the afternoon of Nov. 15 - before the
Parliament session - activists in Brussels are organizing gatherings and
workshops to welcome those traveling from around Europe so we can exchange
and debate on our various struggles for the commons.

*The ECA Assembly on the 17th in Brussels*

Then, on the 17th in the morning, we take advantage of the commoners’
presence in Brussels to look into our ECA’s future and work to continue to
give shape to our ECA process. How do we see the needs, objectives,
priorities and structure of the ECA? How do we stand in solidarity around
our diverse struggles and build a trans-local movement for the commons? How
does the ECA relate to (already existing) local assemblies and existing
Solidarity economy processes? How will we develop (further) policy
proposals throughout our ECA? These are just some of the questions that we
will want to address – for sure there are many others.

Such is the process we are in for together! Thank you for being a part of
it.

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/