[P2P-F] Fwd: The Struggle for Meaningful Work (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 08:24:58 CET 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Great Transition Network <gtnetwork at greattransition.org>
Date: Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 3:27 AM
Subject: The Struggle for Meaningful Work (GTN Discussion)
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

>From Paul Raskin <praskin at tellus.org>

Dear Great Transition Network,

As we bid adieu to 2016, a banner year for the Fortress World scenario,
what can we do but turn with renewed resolve to the work of transition?
There is no alternative (to hijack TINA, Margaret Thatcher’s infamous
justification for neoliberalism). Anyway, the work itself is a privilege
and a gratification.

This brings me to the topic of our JANUARY discussion: “The Struggle for
Meaningful Work.” Kent Klitgaard’s Viewpoint, so titled, argues that the
degradation of work, like the degradation of community and the environment,
is inherent in the logic of capital accumulation, but receives insufficient
attention. The struggle for meaningful jobs, he contends, ought to stand
alongside parallel struggles for justice, equity, and sustainability as
core components of a transformative praxis.

Kent’s thoughtful piece is inspired by his own search for meaningful work
in a career that has spanned cabinet-making to ecological economics. It
highlights a critical dimension of a Great Transition that warrants
heightened emphasis, or so it seems to me. Do you agree? Would you revise
its formulations? Please read it at www.greattransition.org/
publication/meaningful-work, and share your thoughts.

This Viewpoint will be published in February, along with selected comments
drawn from the forthcoming discussion and an interview with Nancy Folbre on
“The Caring Economy.”

Comments are welcome through JANUARY 31.

Warm wishes to you and yours for a healthy and meaningful 2017.

Looking forward,
Paul Raskin
GTI Director

Hit reply to post a message