[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] "Universal Basic Income Is a Neoliberal Plot To Make You Poorer"

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Aug 9 11:42:53 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Carson <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: [NetworkedLabour] "Universal Basic Income Is a Neoliberal Plot
To Make You Poorer"
Cc: "<networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>" <
networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>

Seems like a stretch to me. If anything, decoupling basic subsistence
income from wage labor would be more likely to enable more direct
production of goods and servicesfor use, in the social economy rather
than the cash nexus. And it would increase the bargaining power of
those still within the wage system by at least marginally reducing the
number of workers competing for wage labor, and at least partially
increasing the ability of workers to step back from the bargaining
table for a while.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Theodoros Karyotis <tkaryotis at gmail.com>
wrote:
> "The notion that we can solve inequality within capitalism by
> indiscriminately giving people money and leaving the provisioning of all
> social needs to corporations is extremely dubious. While this view is to
be
> expected among those, like Murray and Friedman, who promote capitalism, it
> is not compatible with anticapitalism. UBI will end up in the hands of
> capitalists. We will be dependent on these same capitalists for everything
> we need. But to truly alleviate poverty, productive capacity must be
> directed toward creating real value for society and not toward "maximizing
> shareholder value" of profit-seeking investors."
>
> http://furtherfield.org/features/articles/universal-
basic-income-neoliberal-plot-make-you-poorer

Kevin Carson
Senior Fellow, Karl Hess Scholar in Social Theory

"You have no authority that we are bound to respect" -- John Perry Barlow
"We are legion. We never forgive. We never forget. Expect us" -- Anonymous

Homebrew Industrial Revolution:  A Low-Overhead Manifesto
http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com
Desktop Regulatory State http://desktopregulatorystate.wordpress.com

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/