[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] Value, Rent, and the polical economy of social media

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Sep 20 22:59:20 CEST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jakob Rigi <rigij at ceu.edu>
Date: Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM
Subject: [NetworkedLabour] Value, Rent, and the polical economy of social
media
To: Jakob Rigi <RigiJ at ceu.edu>, orsan1234 at gmail.com,
networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org

 Value, Rent, and The Political Economy of Social Media

Jakob Rigi and Robert Prey
Abstract
Fuchs (2010
<http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ScaUrsyDi4FzNZk6nWWC/full#cit0014>,  2012)
argues that users of social media produce value and surplus value in the
Marxian sense. Arvidsson and Colleoni (2012
<http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/ScaUrsyDi4FzNZk6nWWC/full#cit0007>)
critique this hypothesis, claiming that Marx's theory of value is
irrelevant to the regime of value production on social media platforms in
particular and in informational capitalism in general. They claim that the
affective relations and financial speculations that generate value on
social media are not dependent on labor time. This article critically
engages Fuchs, and Arvidsson and Colleoni, by revisiting Marx's theory of
value. Contra Fuchs, we argue that audiences do not produce value and
surplus value—neither for social nor for mass media. Contra Arvidsson and
Colleoni, we argue that so-called affective relations (philia) do not
produce value either. Instead we demonstrate that social media generate
revenue from four primary sources—by leasing advertisement space to
generate advertisement rent, by selling information, by selling services to
advertisers, and by generating profits from fictitious capital and
speculative windfalls. All four, we argue, can be adequately explained by
Marx's theory of value.

The article is published in The Information Society  2015, October, Issue 5.

You can read a pre-.copyedited version on Academia. edu

You can also print the article from:
http://ww.tandfonline.com/printScalUrsyDi4FZNK6NWWC1/full

Note, that Routlelge unfortunately only on allows the printing of 50 copies.

Jakob

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/