[P2P-F] Contribution and recognition

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Sep 6 18:26:14 CEST 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM, <p2p-foundation-request at lists.ourproject.org
> wrote:

> Michel's Equipotentiality envisages no fixed roles. But it would seem to
> me that 'contributory roles' are likely to give rise to some form of
> hierarchy, ie extended rights based on a person's contribution. Also I see
> them rising out of fear, fear that people will not contribute unless they
> have some incentive, like social recognition. The understanding that it is
> natural, inherent, to want to contribute, is absent from this analysis.

a clarification in the context of anna's remark,

I saw Equipotentiality first explained by Jorge Ferrer, but did not further
inquire into its prior origins. Although social recognition is very
important, and though contributions often lead to social recognition, and
though I believe that contributions will be a primary generator of social
recognition in a commons-based society, I do not hold that people only
contribute out of fear, i.e. negative extrinsic motivation. On the
contrary, for about ten years, I have insisted that peer production is
mostly passionate production, i.e. instrinsic, and multi-motivational. The
idea that contributions are incentived by recognition is a neoliberal idea
that I do not hold.

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/