[P2P-F] P2P-Foundation Digest, Vol 58, Issue 12

Vasilis Kostakis kostakis.b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:43:55 CEST 2015

Dear Eric,

Thank you very much for your email, your feedback and the food for thought
(I have also forwarded it to our internal mailing list with the aim to
trigger interesting discussions).

With regard to your question about our plans for local experimental
implementation in Greece, our point of departure will be the
documentation/investigation of projects of other organizations and programs
(so that we come up with patterns of success or failure and try to
communicate them to the wider public etc). In the meantime, we will keep
looking for ways to fund local experimental implementation of the dg,ml
model in Greece.

In case we have any serious progress on that front, we will notify P2PF's
community, and, needless to say, we will be more than happy if you could
provide us with your ideas and feedback.

All the best,

Vasilis

On 14 October 2015 at 18:33, Eric Hunting <erichunting at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very nicely designed site and the lab looks very elegant and
> professional. The photos are excellent. But it may be worth considering
> noting the location of the lab more prominently. People in this forum might
> easily deduce this project being in Greece, having heard much about the
> activity and folks involved previously, but the random visitor will only be
> able to find the location noted on the 'contacts' page. It might help to
> note location on a few more pages, particularly on the 'about' and
> 'facilities' pages.
>
> I'm very interested in the 'design global, manufacture local' aspect of
> the planned research and am wondering if there are project plans for local
> experimental implementation in Greece or if the plan is, for now, just to
> document projects of other organizations and programs. My own Open House
> project (
> http://www.appropedia.org/Open_House:_Building_an_Open_Source_Lifestyle )
> is looking to do something similar or related by cataloging, and eventually
> showcasing with a video documentary, the open source designs necessary for
> a functional owner/local-built lifestyle. There's a certain focus on
> personal 'unplugging' in this (ie. the use of new production on the
> household/personal level to unplug from market dependency) but I also
> intend to illustrate the potential in the community context as well. It's
> one of a number of concepts I've been exploring recently to apply the
> approach of 'living museums' (like the many viking or bronze age village
> re-creations in Europe or the colonial era villages in the US) to the
> exhibition of future culture and lifestyle rather than their usual focus on
> the distant past.
>
> I think that one of the key things that could facilitate a grounding of
> theory into practice is to look at the logistics of lifestyle; how our
> daily routine actually works as a system to meet our needs at a given
> standard-of-living. Those living museums go to great lengths to illustrate
> for the public how past, pre-industrial, lifestyle functioned, but,
> ironically, we generally have a very dim awareness of how our lifestyles
> actually work in the present, let alone the near future. This is because
> the market system conceals its workings from us--now putting much of them
> in other distant countries--leaving us industrially illiterate and unable
> to imagine viable alternatives. And so we interface to the market as though
> it were an enormous vending machine, its inner workings mysterious and
> locked away, our means of interaction strictly limited to just a coin slot
> and some buttons as designed by--and suiting the interests of--whoever
> built this thing. As I often say, as far as the average American is
> concerned, the supermarket gets restocked each night by Santa Claus and his
> Chinese elves. And this results in a lot of difficulty when we try to
> [...]

Dr. Vasilis Kostakis

Senior Research Fellow
Ragnar Nurkse School of Innovation and Governance

Research Director
P2P Lab: http://p2plab.org