[P2P-F] Elon Musk's bourgeois Mars

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Tue Oct 6 07:20:51 CEST 2015

Eric Hunting wrote:
> What personally annoys me is the playing to the old
> argument of; "why should we go to space just to export our terrestrial
> madness?"

> It never occurs to proponents of this notion that
> the act of going to space might be a necessary part of that process of
> growing up. That we might need the challenge of the space environment to
> ultimately learn the craft of sustainability because Mother Earth
> molly-coddles us with a too-benign environment that make its too easy to
> cheat.

Eric,

The argument may be old, but so is politics, and that's what this is really
about.

You seem to think that there is something about how we organize production on
Earth that we can learn somewhere off planet.  The laws of physics are the same
on both bodies so only minor refinements to current knowledge could possibly be
gleaned.  Are we supposed to cease all actions to promote social and
ecological justice until the revelatory Martian knowledge is delivered to
mankind care of Mr. Musk?

The idea that the problem is not enough austerity imposed upon the wasteful
Earthmen is absurd.  Inequitable and unsustainable resource allocation is an
ideological problem; it is not due to lack of scientific knowledge or
resources.  Some people think in authoritarian terms and no amount of physical
deprivation or abundance will change their perceptions.  They will simply
impose their elitist solutions in other ways (e.g. intellectual property).

-Karl