[P2P-F] Fwd: The Church of Economism and Its Discontents (GTN Discussion)

Eric Hunting erichunting at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:59:34 CET 2015

The religious character of economics and finance has been apparent to me
from childhood simply from the finance industry's choices of
architecture, which has often tended to borrow the same classical themes
used by states and for the same reasons; using the typology of sacred
spaces to create impressions of power, authority, permanence, and reverence;

New York Stock Exchange -
https://timsanchezdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/new-york-stock-exchange-nyse-nyc-ratti.jpg

Royal Stock Exchange London -
http://www.bugbog.com/images/galleries/london-pictures/City-of-London/royal-exchange.jpg

Early 20th century banks of Chicago -
http://www.heyhochicago.com/2013/10/why-do-old-chicago-banks-look-like.html

Even our stereotypes or iconographic representations follow this form,
the more contemporary type of bank being too indefinite in stereotype;

stock graphic bank -
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/bank-building-isolated-white-d-render-35678339.jpg

Sacred design has very specific psychological impact such use clearly
seems intended to exploit. Unable to directly use the symbols and
architecture of established religions for state use, America and Europe
appropriated the sacred design of obsolete yet still western culture to
symbolize their modern governments' roots in Greek and Roman
Republicanism. Banks and others in finance seemed to borrow this in
order to relate themselves to the state and its authority while also
cultivating a religious reverence for their activity. The bank became a
place of holy communion where everyone speaks in hushed tones and cues
up in lines like supplicants. This manipulation seemed quite blatant to
me, after the fashion of fascist architecture or the similarly scary
architecture of the Mormon church. An attempt to craft a kind of
mystical Neoplatonism built on capitalism and the state as godhead or
divine source of order. As a young nerd, I knew just how one should deal
with such divine pretenders;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sir_Lance/Ad28.jpg

--
Eric Hunting