[P2P-F] Automation Doesn't Just Destroy Jobs--It Destroys Profits, Too

Eric Hunting erichunting at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:08:16 CET 2015

This is an argument I've been making for many years myself. In the
debate about automation and job destruction it is commonly overlooked
that labor and capital are in the same boat when it comes to long-term
impact because production capability itself is becoming a commodity.
Machines aren't just getting smarter, they're getting smaller, more
adaptive, progressively lower in minimum necessary production volumes,
and cheaper. You can now initiate more kinds of production 'out of
pocket' than ever before. You can now competitively manufacture more
things in the space of a four car garage than ever before. You can now
approach a conventional middle-class standard of living based on
entirely local and personal production and open source designs.
Corporations are beginning to abandon the ownership of their own means
to production in favor of job-shops because as that production capacity
becomes more of a commodity the cost of money and the adaptability lost
to amortization becomes the chief drag on market competitiveness. The
volume of consumer goods produced in job shops went past that from
traditional factories in the year 2000, and it never went back. The
factory--and the traditional capital creating it--is already an
anachronism. This brings us to the core premise of Post-Industrial
futurism; that the paradigms of the Industrial Age are being eroded by
the evolution of the very technologies on which they depend. This is the
ultimate crisis of Capitalism; the eventual obsolescence of capital
itself by the automation it cultivated as value shifts away from
material goods and the means to make them and becomes virtualized,
integral to design. The product has no value. The real value is in the
'spime'. Already corporations are increasingly obsessed with litigation,
intellectual property, whittling-away at the First Sale Doctrine, and
limiting the rights and controlling the behavior of the consumer as
means to maintain market share.

The long-term evolution of production and distribution is a transition
to localization, networking, production-on-demand, increasing reliance
on management automation through quantitative analysis, increasing
cost-transparency, and eventual integration into the infrastructure of
the built habitat as a kind of municipal utility. The global economy
will shift from trading in goods to trading in commodity refined
materials and modular parts. As labor is factored out of production,
cost of production becomes more transparent, market prices capitulate
and fall except where they can leverage the value of exclusive design
and designer prestige. 'Brand' manufacturers will increasingly take on
the aspect of ateliers--design studios. The next Apple will be composed
of a relative handful of people whose chief jobs are design,
development, and the management of spimes with all production owned by
someone else and local to the consumer. The next Ford or Toyota will
assemble cars on demand at the dealership--maybe generic dealerships.
(an overlooked impact of electric cars and the electric power train is
their ability to radically drive the number of components in a car down.
Tomorrow's car might have less than 100 parts and go together like a
desktop PC!)

So Capital is running out of things to do, the paradigm or money is
failing, and the model Westphalian state is running out of people to
tax, while, now evolved to accommodate Industrial Age paradigms, having
no other mechanism to define, capture, and collectivize surplus social
productivity to do anything with. (are you going to conscript labor off
the street to make fighter jets?) The state and the monetary system have
been very closely wedded through the Industrial Age, premised on a
concept of extracting and collectivizing monetary capital as societal
debt to gift to elites to create the means of production, and now their
common paradigms are breaking-down. To continue to exist government will
have to devise a new basis of economics--a new paradigm by which to
define resource collectivization and a rationalization for it--or (more
likely) a new economy will emerge stigmergically by the logic intrinsic
to the underlying technology and the compulsion of people to make things
work day-to-day. This is why, when I talk about basic income myself, I
talk about two forms of it. An 'institutional' basic income--that is
disbursed as money and administered by some kind of bureaucratic
institution--and an 'integral' basic income that's built into the
'firmware' of the infrastructure of the built habitat and disbursed as
on-demand access to goods based on a systemic quantitative analysis of
demand. Long-term, we are likely to evolve toward that integral form as
local communities are compelled to take on increasing responsibility for
keeping daily life going as the state increasingly fails them and people
discover the at-hand means/technology to do that in their now local
production capacity.

All these things add up to a picture of a very different lifestyle in
the future that I don't think we communicate too well right now. This is
why I've been very interested in the notion of using the approach of
Living Museums in a future context to illustrate future lifestyle and am
working on projects like the Open House documentary to showcase open
source living.

--
Eric Hunting
erichunting at gmail.com