[P2P-F] [NetworkedLabour] Internet Social Forum

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jun 15 13:18:54 CEST 2015

the solution to me seems obviously not to leave the communication power in
the hands of the elite only, but to democratize it and make it sustainable.

I would guess that the change in mode of production, using globally
networked distributed production (light is global, heavy is local) would
have the following effects, first in terms of redistribution of value:

* interest-free money would remove 38-48 percent of production costs that
now go directly to the elite

* abolisning IP taxes as well would also have a huge redistributional
effect, both these first measures would redirect massive amounts of capital
for making production sustainable

* creatomg commons-producing open cooperative models would keep the surplus
value within the hands of primary producers as well, causing the same
re-investment potential

The direct effects of networked local production models would be:

* local production would remove 75% of production costs by eliminating
transport

* local production 'on demand' would eliminate overproduction but also the
massive need for promoting consumption through mass advertising and
communication

* open supply chains would make the transformation possible towards a
massive adoption of circular economy principles and cradle to cradle design

* together with open book accounting this would ensure also a massive
ethical shift towards fair distribution of value

Of course, none of these is an automatic result of technology alone, but of
a techno-social appropriation of technology by struggling populations, and
in the meantime, by prefigurative productive communities.

None of this can be done without the mutualization of knowledge and
physical infrastructures.

Without networked technology, this can only be done by massive loss of
human life. For example, without technology, the renewable transition would
be catastrophic since people would revert to wood burning and other
destructive practices, while solar and wind technology would ensure a much
smoother transition path.

The answer can never be anti-technology, since the use of technology is
what defines being human, but 'what technology and for whom'. The internet
has to be re-appropriated, made sustainable, and put to use for a massive
transition of our industrial and agricultural basis, not left into the
hands of the enemies of mankind.

Michel

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/