No subject

Thu Jun 11 10:59:23 CEST 2015

re-thought. For example, Marx insisted that transportation is value and
potentially surplus-value producing. The booming logistics sector is rife
with value and surplus value production. And while General Motors has been
displaced by McDonalds as one of the largest employers of labor in the US,
why would we say that making a car is productive of value while making a
hamburger is not? When I stand at the corner of 86th and 2nd Avenue in
Manhattan I see innumerable delivery, bus and cab drivers; workers from
Verizon and Con Edison are digging up the streets to fix the cables, while
down the street the water mains are being repaired; other workers are
constructing the new subway, putting up scaffolding on one side of the
street while taking it down on the other; meanwhile the coffee shop is
making coffees and in the local 24-hour diner workers are scrambling eggs
and serving soups. Even that guy on the bicycle delivering Chinese take-out
is creating value. These are the kinds of jobs, in contrast to those in
conventionally defined manufacturing and agriculture, that have increased
remarkably in recent times and they are all value and surplus value
producing. Manhattan is an island of huge value creation. If only half of
those employed in the production and reproduction of urban life are
employed in the production of this sort of value and surplus value, then
this easily compensates for the losses due to the industrialization of
agriculture and the automation in conventional manufacturing. This is the
contemporary proletariat at work and Springer is quite right to complain
that much of mainstream Marxist thinking has a hard time getting its head
around this new situation (which, it turns out, is not wholly new at all).
This is the proletarian world in which many social anarchist groups have
been and still are embedded.

But we need to take the argument further. There is a big distinction in
Marx=E2=80=99s theory between how, when and where value is produced and how=
, when
and where it is realized. Value produced in China is realized, for example,
in Walmart and Apple stores in North America. There are perpetual struggles
over the realization of value between consumers and
merchant/property-owning capitalists. The battles with landlords, the
phone, electricity and credit card companies are just the most obvious
examples of struggles within the sphere of realization that pervade daily
life. It is in such realms that the politics of refusal often make a lot of
sense.

None of this is central in the standard Marxist theoretical cannon when
clearly, to me, as an urbanist, it should be. I feel entirely comfortable
with daily life perspectives and applaud the social anarchist position on
this. I do, however, have a caveat: everyday life problems from the
perspective of the individual or of the local neighborhood look quite
different from everyday life in the city as a whole. This is why the
transition from Kropotkin to Patrick Geddes, Mumford and the anarchist-
inspired urban planners becomes an important issue for me. How to organize
urban life in the city as a whole so that everyday life for everyone is not
=E2=80=9Cnasty, brutish and short=E2=80=9D is a question that we radical ge=
ographers need
to consider. This aspect of the social anarchist tradition =E2=80=93 the
preparedness to jump scales and integrate local ambitions with metropolitan
wide concerns =E2=80=93 is invaluable if obviously flawed and I am distress=
ed that
most anarchists, including Springer apparently, ignore if not actively
reject it presumably because it seems hierarchically inspired or entails
negotiating with if not mobilizing state power. It is here, of course, that
the Marxist insights on the relation between capital accumulation and
urbanization become critical to social action. And it is surely significant
that the urban uprisings in Turkey and Brazil in 2013 were animated by
everyday life issues as impacted by the dynamics of capital accumulation
and that they were metropolitan-wide in their implications.

It would be wrong to conclude from all this that Marxists do not work
politically and practically on the politics of daily life or in the sphere
of value realization. I meet such people all over the place all the time,
involved in, say, anti-gentrification struggles and fights over the
provision of health care and education as well as in right to the city
movements. The Marxist critique of education under capitalism has been
profound (Bowles and Gintis, 1977). This is a realm where Marxist practices
often go well beyond the theoretical content (a gap which I as well as
other Marxist geographers like Neil Smith (1992, 2003) and, from a somewhat
different angle, Gibson-Graham (2006) have attempted to close). But it is
also clear to me that many people working politically on these daily life
questions do not care about Marxism or anarchism ideologically but simply
engage in radical practices that often converge onto anti-capitalist
politics for contingent rather than ideological reasons. This is the kind
of world of non-ideological collective action that Paul Hawken (2007)
writes so enthusiastically about. I have met workers in recuperated
factories in Argentina whose primary interest was nothing more than having
a job and activists within solidarity economies in Brazil who are simply
concerned with improving daily life. Sure, most of those involved will
praise horizontalism when asked, but for most of them that was not what
spurred them into action (Sitrin and Azzelini, 2014). Those working in such
contexts seize on any literature and any concepts that seem relevant to
their cause no matter whether articulated by anarchists, Marxists or
whoever.

If, as Springer (2014: 252) says, anarchism is primarily =E2=80=9Cabout act=
ively
reinventing the everyday through a desire to create new forms of
organization=E2=80=9D, then I am all for it. If it does not separate workin=
g,
living, creating, acting, thinking, and cultural activities, but keeps them
together within the seamless web of daily life (as a totality) and tries to
re-shape that life then I am totally with it. The search to re- shape daily
life around different =E2=80=9Cstructures of feeling=E2=80=9D (as Raymond W=
illiams might
have put it) is as critical for me as it is for Springer and the
autonomistas who have taken up biopolitics.

But the implications are, I think, even broader. What unifies all our
perspectives is what I can best call =E2=80=9Ca search for meaning=E2=80=9D=
 in a social
world that appears more and more meaningless. This requires a real attempt
to live as far as possible an unalienated life in an increasingly
alienating world. I admire the social anarchists I have known because of
their deep personal and intellectual commitment to do just that.

Social anarchists are not, however, alone in this. I am all for it too. I
featured alienation (a taboo concept for many Marxists of a scientistic or
Althusserian persuasion) as the seventeenth and in many respects crucial
contradiction in my *Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism*
(2014). You don=E2=80=99t have to be either an anarchist or a Marxist to at=
tempt to
create a personal and social world which has meaning and within which it is
possible to live in a relatively unalienated way. Millions of people are
perpetually struggling to do just that and in so doing create islands of
unalienated activities. This is what many religious groups do all the time.
Many young people in the world today, faced with meaningless employment
opportunities and mindless consumerism are searching and opting for a
different lifestyle. Much of contemporary cultural production in the
Western world is building upon exactly this sensibility and the broad left,
both anarchist and Marxist, has to learn to respond appropriately.

The result, David Graeber suggests, is that:

even when there is next to no other constituency for revolutionary politics
in a capitalist society, the one group most likely to be sympathetic to its
project consists of artists, musicians, writers, and others involved in
some form of non-alienated production=E2=80=A6.Surely there must be a link =
between
the actual experience of first imagining things and then bringing them into
being, individually or collectively, and the ability to envision social
alternatives=E2=80=94particularly, the possibility of a society itself prem=
ised on
less alienated forms of creativity? One might even suggest that
revolutionary coalitions always tend to rely on a kind of alliance between
a society=E2=80=99s least alienated and its most oppressed; actual revoluti=
ons, one
could then say, have tended to happen when these two categories most
broadly overlap (2002: 70).

Whether this was true in the past can be debated (I personally think there
were elements of this configuration at work in the Paris Commune). But
Graeber=E2=80=99s statement undoubtedly captures an important feature of ra=
dical
activism in our time and one that I both appreciate and relate to.

So what, then, is the central problem in the midst of all this positive
feeling about the social anarchist approach to daily life questions? The
answer for me lies in what Bookchin calls =E2=80=9Cthe anarchist disdain fo=
r power=E2=80=9D
(2014: 139; as represented, for example, in John Holloway=E2=80=99s *Change=
 the
World Without Taking Power* (2010)). And behind this, of course, lies the
thorny problem of how to approach the question of the state in general and
the capitalist state in particular.

The best I can do here is to take up the most compelling historical example
I have come across of the failure of an amazingly well-developed anarchist
movement to mobilize collective power and to take the state when it clearly
had the opportunity to do so. I rely here on Ealham=E2=80=99s (2010) detail=
ed and
sympathetic account of the anarchist movement in Barcelona from 1898-1937
and in particular on its failure to consolidate the power of a mass
movement in 1936-7. I propose to use this example to illustrate what seems
to be a general problem with anarchist practices, including those that
Springer advocates.

The Barcelona movement was based on the instinctive collective
organizations of working class populations in the *barris* (neighborhoods)
of the city along the lines of integrated social networks and mutual aid,
coupled with deep distrust of a state apparatus that neglected their social
needs and essentially criminalized, marginalized, and merely sought to
police and repress their aspirations. Given these conditions, large
segments of the working class fell in line with anarcho-syndicalist forms
of organization as represented by the National Confederation of Labor
(CNT), which at its height had over a million adherents throughout
Catalonia. There were, however, other anarchist currents =E2=80=93 the radi=
cal
anarchists in particular =E2=80=93 that often opposed the syndicalists and
organized themselves (often clandestinely) through affinity groups and
neighborhood committees to pursue their aims. But the overall structure of
this working class movement was neighborhood based and territorially
segregated. The CNT was =E2=80=9Cvery much a product of local space and the=
 social
relations within it; its unions made the *barris* feel powerful, and
workers felt ownership over what they regarded as =E2=80=98our=E2=80=99 uni=
on=E2=80=9D (Ealham,
2010: 39). But it had great difficulty in thinking the city as a whole
rather than in terms of those separate territories it did control. The
militant affinity groups, for example, =E2=80=9Cwere incapable of convertin=
isolated local actions into a more offensive action that could lead to a
powerful transformation at regional or state level=E2=80=9D (2010: 122). Th=
movement=E2=80=99s central weakness in the run-up to the civil war, Ealham =
argues,
=E2=80=9Cwas its failure to generate an overarching institutional structure=
 capable
of coordinating the war effort and simultaneously harmonizing the
activities of the myriad workers=E2=80=99 collectives. In political terms, =
the
revolution was underdeveloped and inchoate=E2=80=A6..the revolution in Barc=
elona
failed to generate any revolutionary institution=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6workers=
=E2=80=99 power remained
fragmented and atomised on the streets, dispersed among a multitude of
*comit=C3=A9s* without any coordination at regional or national level=E2=80=
=9D (2010:
168; also Bookchin, 2014: Chapter 8). The reluctance of the anarchists of
whatever sort to take state power for ideological reasons when it clearly
had the power to do so left the state in the hands of the bourgeois
republicans and their Stalinist/communist allies who bided their time until
they were well-organized enough to violently crush the CNT movement in the
name of republican law and order.

Even worse, the movement largely betrayed its own principles by practices
that ignored the will of the people. The radical affinity groups pursued
insurrectionary tactics that produced a =E2=80=9Cgrowing disquiet=E2=80=9D =
about their
=E2=80=9Celitism=E2=80=9D and the undemocratic ways in which they would lau=
nch continuous
insurrectionary actions. They depicted their actions as =E2=80=9Ccatalytic=
=E2=80=9D rather
than =E2=80=9Cvanguardist=E2=80=9D, but most people recognized this was ana=
rchist
vanguardism under another name. The insurrectionists expected and appealed
for mass support (which rarely materialized) for actions decided upon by no
more than at most a hundred but in many instances just a dozen or so
members of a particular affinity group. This created problems for everyone
else. The anarcho-syndicalists of Madrid and Asturias complained that the
cascading insurrectionary actions of the radical anarchist =E2=80=9Cgrupist=
as=E2=80=9D in
Barcelona were disruptive rather than constructive. =E2=80=9COur revolution=
=E2=80=9D they
wrote in their daily paper, =E2=80=9Crequires more than an attack on a Civi=
l Guard
barracks or an army post. That is not revolutionary. We will call an
insurrectionary general strike when the situation is right; when we can
seize the factories, mines, power plants, transportation and the means of
production=E2=80=9D (quoted in Ealham, 2010: 144). What is the point of
insurrectionary action, they said, if there is no idea let alone concrete
plan to re-organize the world the day after?

There are two broad lines of critique of the conventional anarchist
position in Ealham=E2=80=99s account that are relevant to my argument. Firs=
tly
there is the failure to shape and mobilize political power into a
sufficiently effective configuration to press home a revolutionary
transformation in society as a whole. If, as seems to be the case, the
world cannot be changed without taking power then what is the point of a
movement that refuses to build and take that power? Secondly, there is an
inability to stretch the vision of political activism from local to far
broader geographical scales at which the planning of major infrastructures
and the management of environmental conditions and long distance trade
relations becomes a collective responsibility for millions of people. Who
will manage the transport and communications network is the question. The
anarchist town planners (including Bookchin) understood this problem but
their work is largely ignored within the anarchist movement. These
dimensions define terrains upon which anarchists but not Marxists are
fearful of operating (which is not to say the Marxists have no failures to
their credit). And it is here that the whole history of anarchist
influences in centralized urban planning deserves to be resurrected. This
is a complicated topic that I cannot possibly probe into more deeply here.
But this is clearly the most obvious point where anarchist concerns for the
qualities of daily life and Marxist perspectives on global capital flows
and the construction of physical infrastructures through long-term
investments could come together with constructive results.

Springer prefers insurrectionary to revolutionary politics. He does so on
the grounds that revolutionaries typically sit for ever in the =E2=80=9Cwai=
ting
room of history=E2=80=9D endlessly planning for the revolution that never c=
omes
whereas the insurrectionists =E2=80=9Cdo it now.=E2=80=9D Well sometimes th=
ey do and
sometimes they don=E2=80=99t. But much of the rhetoric these days about the=
 =E2=80=9Ccoming
insurrection=E2=80=9D (announced by The Invisible Committee (2009) in 2007 =
in
France but yet to materialize) is just that: rhetoric. I hope that
Springer=E2=80=99s version is democratically based and not elitist and that=
 he does
the detailed organizing required to keep the electricity flowing, the
subways running and the garbage picked up in the days that follow. I
personally don=E2=80=99t trust continuous insurrections that spring spontan=
eously
from self-activity, which are thought of as =E2=80=9Ca means without end=E2=
=80=9D and
predicated on the idea that =E2=80=9Cwe cannot liberate each other, we can =
only
liberate ourselves=E2=80=9D (Springer, 2014: 262-263). Self- liberation thr=
ough
insurrection is all well and good but what about everyone else?

I find Bookchin=E2=80=99s line on all of this interesting, even if incomple=
te.
Resolutely opposed as he was to the state and hierarchies as unreformable
instruments of oppression and denial of human freedom, he was not na=C3=AFv=
about the necessity of taking power:

Every revolution, indeed, even every attempt to achieve basic change, will
always meet with resistance from elites in power. Every effort to defend a
revolution will require the amassing of power =E2=80=93 physical as well as
institutional and administrative =E2=80=93 which is to say, the creation of
government. Anarchists may call for the abolition of the state, but
coercion of some kind will be necessary to prevent the bourgeois state from
returning in full force with unbridled terror. For a libertarian
organization to eschew, out of misplaced fear of creating a =E2=80=9Cstate=
=E2=80=9D, taking
power when it can do so with the support of the revolutionary masses is
confusion at best and a total failure of nerve at worst (Bookchin, 2014:
183).

Graeber=E2=80=99s response is to insist that anarchist strategy =E2=80=9Cis=
 less about
seizing state power than about exposing, delegitimizing and dismantling
mechanisms of rule while winning ever-larger spaces of autonomy from it=E2=
=80=9D
(2002: 73). Only within such autonomous spaces can true democratic
practices become possible. From my perspective this means creating a
parallel state (like the Zapatistas) within the capitalist state. Such
experiments rarely work and when they do, as in the case of the
paramilitary forms of organization that dominate in Colombia or the various
mafia like organizations that exist around the world (e.g. in Italy), they
are rarely benign (in fact they are typically hornet=E2=80=99s nests of ext=
ortion,
violence and corruption). Even left revolutionary guerilla movements (such
as the FARC in Colombia) experienced defaults of this kind and there is no
guarantee that any parallel power structure devised by anarchists will not
suffer from similar problems. In any case, the present penchant for
=E2=80=98government by NGO=E2=80=99 provides a classic example of how rulin=
g powers can
co-opt and de-fang the radical idea of autonomy for their own purposes.

The anarchist and autonomista reluctance to take and consolidate power is
rooted, I suspect, in the concept of the =E2=80=9Cfree individual=E2=80=9D =
upon which much
anarchist and autonomista thinking rests. The critique of radical
individualism runs as follows. The concept of the free individual bears the
mark of liberal legal institutions (even of private property in the body
and the self) spiced with a hefty dose of that personalized protestant
religion which Weber associated with the rise of capitalism. To say, as
Reclus did with great pride, that he had gone through life as a free
individual, was to place himself firmly in the liberal and protestant
tradition (Reclus=E2=80=99 father was a protestant minister and for a while=
 Reclus
trained for the ministry; see Chardak, 1997). His sort of anarchism has its
roots in liberal theory and the Judeo- Christian tradition even as it
constructs its anti-capitalism through the negation of the market and a
critique of the class and environmental consequences of liberal theory and
capitalist practices. There is nothing wrong with this (Marx also
constructs largely by way of negation of classical political economy and
its liberal and Judeo-Christian roots). But the result is an awkward
overlap at times (which exists in both Marx and Proudhon) in which the
critique incorporates and mirrors far too much of that which it criticizes.
There is a real problem here which Springer evades by denouncing as
=E2=80=9Coxymoronic=E2=80=9D anyone that places anarchist thinking too clos=
e to its liberal
(and by extension neoliberal) roots as defined, for example, in
Nozick=E2=80=99s *Anarchy,
State, and Utopia* (1974). This is an issue that has to be rationally
unpacked because it has had and potentially will continue to have real
consequences.

In 1984 two MIT professors, Michael Piore and Charles Sabel, for example,
published a book called *The Second Industrial Divide* (1984). Back in
1848, they argued, industrial capitalism faced a moment of technological
possibility in its organization in which it could either move towards mass
factory production of the sort that Marx predicted and embraced or take the
path that Proudhon advocated, which was the linking together of small,
independent workshops in which associated laborers could democratically
control their work and their lives. The wrong choice was made after 1848,
they claim, and thereafter mass factory production, with all of its evils,
dominated industrial capitalism. But in the 1970s new technologies and
organizational forms were emerging which posed that same choice anew. With
flexible specialization and small batch and niche production, Proudhon=E2=
=80=99s
dream was once more a possibility. Piore and Sabel became fierce advocates
for the new forms of industrial organization =E2=80=93 termed =E2=80=9Cflex=
ible
specialization=E2=80=9D =E2=80=93 most classically represented at that time=
 by the emerging
industrial districts of the Third Italy. Both Piore and Sabel, armed with
their reputations, their MacArthur grants and supported by so-called
progressive thinkers and institutions of the time, set out to persuade the
unions to embrace the Proudhonian vision rather than oppose the new
technologies. Sabel became an influential advisor to the International
Labour Organization. Many of us on the Marxist left were deeply troubled by
this turn. I added my voice to the critics by arguing in *The Condition of
Postmodernity* (1989; as well as at the AAG in Baltimore in 1987 when Sabel
and I clashed fiercely), that flexible specialization was nothing other
than a tactic of flexible accumulation for capital. The campaign to
persuade or cajole (via the International Monetary Fund) countries to adopt
policies for the flexibilization of labor was a sign of this intent (and it
still goes on through IMF mandates, as now in Greece). In retrospect it is
clear that this scheme, supported by Piore and Sabel and given an aura of
progressive radicalism in the name of Proudhon, was a core element of
neoliberalization, with all the consequences that flowed for the
disempowerment of labor and labor=E2=80=99s declining share of gains from
productivity. This left nearly all of the newly produced wealth in the
hands of the one percent. We badly need to disabuse ourselves of what
Bookchin calls the =E2=80=9CProudhonist myth that small associations of
producers=E2=80=A6.can slowly eat away at capitalism=E2=80=9D (2014: 59). T=
he autonomistas,
along with Luc Boltanski and Eve Chiapelin in *The New Spirit of Capitalism=
*
(2007), even go so far as to suggest that it was the working class
practices of the autonomistas and the anarchists that were taken over by
capital to create new forms of control and new networked organizational
forms during the 1970s.

Capitalist anarchism is a real problem. It has its coherent central theory
as set out by Nozick, Hayek and others, and a doctrine of market freedoms.
It has turned out not only to be the most successful form of decentralized
decision making ever invented =E2=80=93 as Marx so elegantly demonstrated i=
*Capital* =E2=80=93 but also a force for an immense centralization of wealt=
h and
power in the hands of an increasingly powerful oligarchy. This dialectic
between decentralization and centralization is one of the most important
contradictions within capital (see my *Seventeen Contradictions and the End
of Capitalism*) and I wish all those, like Springer, who advocate
decentralization as if it is an unalloyed good would look more closely at
its consequences and contradictions. As I argued in *Rebel Cities* (2013a),
decentralization and autonomy are primary vehicles for producing greater
inequality and centralization of power. Once again, Bookchin sort of
agrees: =E2=80=9Cat the risk of seeming contrary, I feel obliged to emphasi=
ze that
decentralization, localism, self-sufficiency, and even confederation, each
taken singly, do not constitute a guarantee that we will achieve a rational
ecological society. In fact all of them have at one time or another
supported parochial communities, oligarchies, and even despotic regimes=E2=
=80=9D
(2014: 73-74). This was, by the way, my main problem with the stance taken
by Gibson-Graham in their pursuit of totally decentralized anti- capitalist
alternatives.

While left anarchism of the Proudhon sort has no coherent theory,
right-wing capitalist anarchism has a coherent theoretical structure that
rests upon a seductive utopian vision of human freedom. It took the genius
of Marx to deconstruct this theory in *Capital*. Small wonder that Marx in
deconstructing it would find Proudhon=E2=80=99s vision so unintendedly reac=
tionary.

Which brings me to the question of the relations between Marx and Proudhon.
I have freely recognized (e.g. in the companions to Marx=E2=80=99s *Capital=
,* 2010:
6, 2013b: 189) that Marx drew far more from the French socialist tradition
(including Proudhon) than he acknowledged and that he was often unfair in
his criticisms of Proudhon (but then he was also just as unfair in his
criticisms of Mill, Malthus and even Ricardo =E2=80=93 this was just Marx=
=E2=80=99s way).
But Marx drew as much from the Jacobin Auguste Blanqui (who I think coined
the phrase =E2=80=9Cthe dictatorship of the proletariat=E2=80=9D, which Mar=
x rarely used
and should have put in scare quotes, thereby saving us from a lot of
trouble), as well as Fourier (the opening of the chapter in *Capital* on
the labor process is a hidden dialogue with him), Saint-Simon (who Marx
admired to the degree that he saw the association of capitals in the form
of the joint stock company as possibly a progressive move), Cabet, as well
as Robert Owen (Blanqui=E2=80=99s defense before the court of assizes in 18=
32 is an
astonishing statement; Corcoran, 1983). But Marx=E2=80=99s dependence on th=
ese
thinkers, as was also the case with his dependency on classical political
economy, was marked for the most part by fierce critical interrogation as
Marx sought to build his own theoretical apparatus to understand how
capital accumulated. What Marx accepted and what he arrived at by negation
in his interrogations from any of these people is a complicated question.

But to go from this recognition to suggest that Marx plagiarized everything
from Proudhon in particular is indeed totally absurd. The idea of the
exploitation of labour by capital, for example, was far more strongly
articulated by Blanqui than by Proudhon and was completely accepted by the
socialist Ricardians. It was obvious to pretty much everyone and Marx made
no claims of originality in pointing to it. What Marx did was to show how
that exploitation could be accomplished without violating laws of market
exchange that theoretically (and in the utopian universe of classical
political economy) rested upon equality, freedom and reciprocity. To
promote those laws of exchange as the foundation of equality was to create
the conditions for the centralization of capitalist class power. This was
what Proudhon missed. When Marx pointed to the importance of the
commodification of labor power he may well have been drawing on Blanqui
without acknowledgement but even here it was Marx and not Blanqui who
recognized its significance for the theory of capital. Marx=E2=80=99s criti=
que in
the *Grundrisse* of the Proudhonian conception of money and of the idea
that all that was needed for a peaceful transition to socialism was a
reform of the monetary system was accurate (and of course Proudhon=E2=80=99=
s free
credit bank was an instantaneous disaster though it may have been bourgeois
sabotage that made it so). Marx=E2=80=99s critique of Proudhon=E2=80=99s th=
eories of
eternal justice is also penetrating. It is here precisely that Marx points
out how theories of justice are not universal but specific, and in the
bourgeois case specific to the rise of liberal capitalism. To pursue the
aim of universal justice as a revolutionary strategy ran the danger of
simply instanciating bourgeois law within socialism. This is a familiar
problem, as everyone working critically with notions of human rights
recognizes. When Marx appealed, as he often did, to ideas of association he
was almost certainly drawing more on Saint-Simon than Proudhon.

While Proudhon undoubtedly had important things to say, there are dangers
of viewing him as representative of some perfected social anarchism. He had
a weak grasp of political economy, did not support the workers in the
revolution of 1848, was against trade unions and strikes and held to a
narrow definition of socialism as nothing more than the association of
workers mutually supporting each other. He was hostile to women working and
his supporters campaigned vigorously in the workers commissions of the
1860s in France to have women banned from employment in the Paris
workshops. The main opposition came from the Paris Branch of the
International Working Men=E2=80=99s Association led by Eugene Varlin who in=
sisted
upon women=E2=80=99s equality and right to work (Harvey, 2003). Proudhon=E2=
=80=99s
book, *Pornography:
The Situation of Women*, is, according to his biographer Edward Hyams, full
of =E2=80=9Cevery illiberal, every cruelly reactionary notion ever used aga=
inst
female emancipation by the most extreme anti-feminist=E2=80=9D (1979: 274).=
 OK, so
Marx was no saint either on such matters. Both anarchism and Marxism have
had and continue to have a troubled history on the gender question but on
this topic Proudhon is an extreme and ugly outlier.

What is really odd is that before the Commune, in the 1860s, Marxists and
anarchists were not at logger-heads in the same way as they later became.
Reclus and many Proudhonians attended the meetings of the International
Working Men=E2=80=99s Association and I recall reading somewhere that Marx =
asked
Reclus if he would be willing to translate *Capital* from German into
French. Reclus did not do so. I do sense, however, that Marx felt that
Proudhon was his chief rival for the affections of the French revolutionary
working class and in part concentrated his critical fire against him for
that reason. But the clash of ideologies within the Paris Commune was
between many factions, such as the centralizing and often violent
Jacobinism of the Blanquists and variations of the Proudhonian
decentralized associationists. The communists, like Varlin, were a
minority. The subsequent appropriation of the Commune by Marx, Engels and
Lenin as a heroic if fatally flawed uprising on the part of the working
classes does not stand up to historical examination any more than does the
story that it was the product of a purely urban social movement that had
nothing to do with class. I view the Commune as a class event if only
because it was a revolt against bourgeois structures of power and
domination in both the living spaces as well as in the workplaces of the
city (Harvey, 2003). Who =E2=80=9Clost=E2=80=9D the Commune became, however=
, a major issue
in which the finger-pointing between Marx and Bakunin played a critical
role in creating a huge gulf between the anarchist and Marxist traditions
(a gulf that Springer seems concerned to deepen if he can).

The individualism that lies at its emotional base does not, of course, lead
social anarchism to ignore the importance of collective activities, the
construction of solidarities or building a variety of organizational forms.
As Springer puts it, =E2=80=9CAnarchist organizing is limited only by our
imagination, where the only existent criteria are that they proceed
non-hierarchically and free from external authority=E2=80=A6..This could in=
clude
almost any form of organization, from a volunteer fire brigade for safety,
to community gardens for food, to cooperatives for housing, to knitting
collectives for clothes=E2=80=9D (2014: 253). There is, however, something
deceptive about such lists. Having experienced the =E2=80=9Cjoys=E2=80=9D o=
f living in a
housing coop in New York City I can assure everyone that there is nothing
particularly liberatory or progressive about it. The standard anarchist
response to this is to say that this would not be so if the anarchists were
in charge. This, of course, begs the question of which organizational forms
are truly anarchist as opposed to just convenient for any form of hegemonic
power (including that of the anarchists). The rule, here, seems to be that
all forms of social organization are possible except that of the state.

For this reason anarchists are often drawn to adopt indigenous communities
as one of their favored forms of association because of their ability to
pursue communal forms of action without creating anything that resembles a
state. This underpins Chomsky=E2=80=99s embrace of the Mapuche in Southern =
Chile
(the Mapuche kept the Spanish invaders and the Chilean government at bay
for hundreds of years) and James Scott=E2=80=99s characterization of the in=
digenous
populations of Highland Southeast Asia as prototypical anarchist in form.
In some ways this is an odd coupling because for most indigenous
populations the radical individualism that underpins much of Western
anarchism is meaningless given their relational collectivism and their
general appreciation of harmony and spiritual membership as core cultural
values. Unfortunately in the case of the Mapuche, the penetrations of
commodification, money and merchant capitalism are currently doing far more
damage than either Spanish colonialism or the Chilean state ever did to
their core cultural values. As Marx puts it, =E2=80=9Cwhen money dissolves =
the
community it becomes the community=E2=80=9D and what is happening to many
indigenous societies is exactly that. While these social orders and their
value systems are of great merit, I fear that a political program that
argued for the populations of North America and Europe to live like the
Mapuche, the highland tribes of Asia or the Zapatistas would not go very
far and in any case would do little or nothing to curb the avaricious
practices of capital accumulation through dispossession that are currently
at work in Amazonia and other hitherto relatively untouched regions of the
world. And in some instances, such as Otavalo in Ecuador or even more
spectacularly in El Alto in Bolivia (with more than a million people mostly
indigenous Almara), the embrace of the market produces a vibrant indigenous
culture with entrepreneurial merchant capitalist characteristics.

This is, however, a good point to take up the question of the state as
perhaps the conceptual rubicon that neither side is prepared to cross. For
most anarchists and many non-anarchists, opposition to and rejection of the
state and of the hierarchical institutions that support and surround it
(like parliamentary democracy and political parties) is a non-negotiable
ideological position. This is not to say that anarchists do not on occasion
engage with the state (they often have no choice in the face, for example,
of repressive police actions) or even vote (as many did in the 2015 Greek
election for example). But after his break with anarchism, Bookchin
continued to view the state as a structure set up from the very first in
the image of hierarchical domination, exploitation and human repression,
and therefore unreformable.

I disagree with that view. The state was the subject of a huge and divisive
debate (in which Holloway was a major protagonist) within Marxism for two
decades or more. I still think Gramsci and the late Poulantzas worth
reading for their insights and Jessop nobly continues the struggle to adapt
the Marxist position to current realities. My own simplified view is that
the state is a ramshackle set of institutions existing at a variety of
geographical scales that internalize a lot of contradictions, some of which
can potentially be exploited for emancipatory rather than obfuscatory or
repressive ends (its role in public health provision has been crucial to
increasing life expectancy for example), even as for the most part it is
about hierarchical control, the enforcement of class divisions and
conformities and the repression (violent when necessary) of
non-capitalistic liberatory human aspirations. Monopoly power within the
judiciary (and the protection of private property), over money and the
means of exchange and over the means of violence, policing and repression,
are its only coherent functions essential to the perpetuation of capital
while everything else is sort of optional in relation to the powers of
different interest groups (with capitalists and nationalists by far the
most influential). But the state has and continues to have a critical role
to play in the provision of large-scale physical and social
infrastructures. Any revolutionary (or insurrectionary) movement has to
reckon with the problem of how to provide such infrastructures. Society (no
matter whether capitalist or not) needs to be reproduced and the state has
a key role in doing that. In recent times the state has become more and
more a tool of capital and far less amenable to any kind of democratic
control (other than the crude democracy of money power). This has led to
the rising radical demand for direct democracy (which I would support). Yet
even now there are still enough examples of the progressive uses of state
power for emancipatory ends (for example, in Latin America in recent years)
to not give up on the state as a terrain of engagement and struggle for
progressive forces of a left wing persuasion.

The odd thing here is that the more autonomistas and anarchists grapple
with the necessity to build organizations that have the capacity to ward
off bourgeois power and to build the requisite large-scale infrastructures
for revolutionary transformation, the more they end up constructing
something that looks like some kind of state. This is the case with the
Zapatistas, for example, even as they hold back from any attempt to take
power within the Mexican state. Bookchin=E2=80=99s position on all of this =
is
interesting. On the one hand he argues that the notion that =E2=80=9Chuman =
freedom
can be achieved, much less perpetuated, through a state of any kind is
monstrously oxymoronic=E2=80=9D (2014: 39). On the other hand, he also hold=
s that
anarchists have wrongly =E2=80=9Clong regarded every government as a state =
and
condemned it =E2=80=93 a view that is a recipe for the elimination of any o=
rganized
social life whatever=E2=80=9D. A =E2=80=9Cgovernment is an ensemble of inst=
itutions
designed to deal with the problems of consociational life in an orderly and
hopefully fair manner.=E2=80=9D Opposition to the state must not carry over=
opposition to government: =E2=80=9CThe libertarian opposition to law, not t=
o speak
of government as such, has been as silly as the image of a snake swallowing
its tail=E2=80=9D (2014: 13). Consensus decision making, he says, =E2=80=9C=
threatens to
abolish society as such.=E2=80=9D Simple majority voting suffices. There mu=
st also
be a =E2=80=9Cserious commitment=E2=80=9D to a =E2=80=9Cformal constitution=
 and appropriate
by-laws=E2=80=9D because =E2=80=9Cwithout a democratically formulated and a=
pproved
institutional framework whose members and leaders can be held accountable,
clearly articulated standards of responsibility cease to exist=E2=80=A6..Fr=
eedom
from authoritarianism can best be assured only by the clear, concise and
detailed allocation of power, not by pretensions that power and leadership
are forms of =E2=80=9Crule=E2=80=9D or by libertarian metaphors that concea=
l their reality=E2=80=9D
(2014: 27). All of this looks to me like a reconstruction of a certain kind
of state (but this may be nothing more than semantics). Hardt and Negri
have also recently recognized the limitations of horizontalism, the
importance of leadership, even suggesting that the time may be ripe to
reconsider the question of taking state power. In the course of this, Negri
has publically noted a certain evolution and convergence between his and my
views on some of these questions (2015).

Let me conclude with a commentary on how Springer misrepresents my critique
of certain forms of organization that anarchists currently advocate.
=E2=80=9CHarvey,=E2=80=9D he writes,

scorns what he refers to as the =E2=80=98na=C3=AFve=E2=80=99 and =E2=80=98h=
opeful gesturing=E2=80=99 of
decentralized thinking, lamenting how the term =E2=80=98hierarchy=E2=80=99 =
is =E2=80=98virulently
unpopular with much of the left these days=E2=80=99. The message rings thro=
ugh loud
and clear. How dare anarchists (and autonomists) attempt to conceive of
something different and new, when we should be treading water in the sea of
yesterday=E2=80=99s spent ideas (2014: 265).

My central complaint in *Rebel Cities* from which his initial citation is
drawn is that the =E2=80=9Cleft as a whole is bedeviled by an all-consuming
=E2=80=98fetishism of organizational form=E2=80=99=E2=80=9D (2013a: 125). I=
 make common cause on
this with Bookchin who writes: =E2=80=9CNo organizational model, however, s=
hould be
fetishized to the point where it flatly contradicts the imperatives of real
life=E2=80=9D (2014: 183). Springer and many other anarchists and autonomis=
tas
consider the only legitimate form of organization to be horizontal,
decentered, open, consensual and non-hierarchical. =E2=80=9CJust to be clea=
r,=E2=80=9D I
wrote, =E2=80=9CI am not saying horizontality is bad =E2=80=93 indeed I thi=
nk it an
excellent objective =E2=80=93 but that we should acknowledge its limits as =
hegemonic organizational principle, and be prepared to go far beyond it
when necessary=E2=80=9D (2013a: 70). In the case of the management of the c=
ommons,
for example, it is difficult if not impossible (as Elinor Ostrom=E2=80=99s =
work had
demonstrated) to take consensual horizontality to much larger scales such
as the metropolitan region, the bioregion, and certainly not the globe (as
in the case of global warming). At those scales it was impossible to
proceed without setting up =E2=80=9Cconfederal=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9Cnested=
=E2=80=9D (which means inevitably
hierarchical in my view but then this too may just be semantics) structures
of decision making that entailed serious adjustments in organized thinking
as well as forms of institutionalized governance.

I cited both Murray Bookchin and David Graeber in support of this point.
The latter had noted that decentralized communities =E2=80=9Chave to have s=
ome way
to engage with larger economic, social or political systems that surround
them. This is the trickiest question because it has proved extremely
difficult for those organized on radically different lines to integrate
themselves in any meaningful way in larger structures without having to
make endless compromises in their founding principles=E2=80=9D (Graeber, 20=
09:
239). I was interested in taking up what some of those endless compromises
might have to be. I then went on to suggest that Bookchin=E2=80=99s proposa=
l for
municipal libertarianism organized confederally was =E2=80=9Cby far the mos=
sophisticated radical proposal to deal with the creation and collective use
of the commons at a variety of scales=E2=80=9D (2013a: 85). I supported Boo=
kchin=E2=80=99s
proposal for a =E2=80=9C=E2=80=98municipal libertarianism=E2=80=99 embedded=
 in a bioregional
conception of associated municipal assemblies rationally regulating their
interchanges with each other as well as with nature. It is at this point,=
=E2=80=9D
I suggested, =E2=80=9Cthat the world of practical politics fruitfully inter=
sects
with the long history of largely anarchist-inspired utopian thinking and
writing about the city=E2=80=9D (2013a: 138). There were, however, some lim=
its to
extending Bookchin=E2=80=99s organizational ideas all the way (although the=
re are
apparently current attempts to do so under the auspices of the Kurdish PKK
to the recently liberated Kobane; see TATORT, 2013).

And I thought it important to state what these might be. Looking more
closely at the organizational forms that were animated in the revolutionary
upsurges in El Alto in the early 2000s, I suggested that we might need to
look at a variety of intersecting organizational forms, including those
favored by the =E2=80=9Chorizontalists=E2=80=9D, which cut across other mor=
e confederal and
in some instances vertical structures. I ended up with a fairly utopian
sketch of intersecting organizational forms =E2=80=93 both vertical and hor=
izontal
=E2=80=93 that might work in governing a large metropolitan area such as Ne=
w York
City (2013a: 151-153).

This is what Springer considers =E2=80=9Ctreading water in the sea of yeste=
rday=E2=80=99s
spent ideas=E2=80=9D (2014: 265)!! The problem here, I submit, is Springer=
=E2=80=99s
fetishization of consensual horizontality as the only admissible
organizational form. It is this exclusive and exclusionary dogma that
stands in the way of exploring appropriate and effective solutions. I
accept what Graeber calls =E2=80=9Cthe rich and growing panoply of organiza=
tional
instruments=E2=80=9D that anarchists of various stripes have adopted (or in=
 some
cases adapted from indigenous practices) in recent years. These have
contributed significantly to the repertoire of possible left political
organizational forms and of course I agree (who could not) that the
critical aim of reinventing democracy should be a central concern. But the
evidence is clear that we need organizational forms that go beyond those
within which many anarchists and autonomistas now confine themselves if we
are to reinvent democracy while pursuing a coherent anti-capitalist
politics. I support Syriza, for example, as did Negri and several Greek
anarchists I know, and Podemos not because they are revolutionary but
because they help open up a space for a different kind of politics and a
different conversation. The mobilization of political power is essential
and the state cannot be neglected as a potential site for radicalization.
On all these points I beg to differ with many of my autonomist and
anarchist colleagues.

But this does not preclude collaboration and mutual aid with respect to the
many other common anti-capitalist struggles with which we are engaged.
Honest disagreements should be no barrier to fertile collaborations. So the
conclusion I reach is this: let radical geography be just that: radical
geography, free of any particular =E2=80=9Cism=E2=80=9D, nothing more, noth=
ing less.

References

B=C3=B6hm S, Dinerstein A and Spicer A (2008) (Im)possibilities of autonomy=
:
Social movements in and beyond capital, the state and development. *Social
Movement Studies* 9: 17-32.

Boltanski L and Chiapello E (2007) *The New Spirit of Capitalism*, Elliott
G, tr. London: Verso.

Bookchin M (2014) *The Next Revolution: Popular Assemblies and the Promise
of Direct Democracy*. London: Verso.

Bookchin M (1971) *Post-Scarcity Anarchism*. San Francisco: Rampart Press.

Bowles S and Gintis H (1977) *Schooling in Capitalist America: Educational
Reform and the Contradictions of Economic Life*. New York: Basic Books.

Chardak H (1997) *Elis=C3=A9e Reclus: L=E2=80=99Homme qui aimait la Terre*.=
 Paris:
Editions Stock.

Clark J and Martin C, eds. (2004) *Anarchy, Geography, Modernity*; The
Radical Social Thought of Elis=C3=A9e Reclus. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.

Corcoran P (1983) *Before Marx: Socialism and Communism in France*,
1930-48. London: Macmillan.

Dunbar G (1978) *Elis=C3=A9e Reclus: Historian of Nature*. Hamden, CT: Arch=
on
Books.

Ealham C (2010) *Anarchism and the City: Revolution and Counter-Revolution
in Barcelona, 1898-1937*. Oakland: AK Press.

Fleming M (1988) *The Geography of Freedom*. Montreal: Black Rose Books.

Folke S (1972) Why a radical geography must be Marxist. *Antipode* 4: 13-18=
.

Gibson-Graham, J K (2006) *The End of Capitalism (As We Knew It): A
Feminist Critique of Political Economy*. Minnesota: University of Minnesota
Press.

Graeber D (2002) The new anarchists. *New Left Review* 13: 61-73.

Graeber D (2009) *Direct Action: An Ethnography*. Oakland: AK Press.

Harvey D (1975) Class structure and the theory of residential
differentiation. In Peel R, Chisholm M and Haggett P, eds., 354-369, *Brist=
ol
Essays in Geography*. London: Heinemann Press.

Harvey D (1977) Labor, capital and class struggle around the built
environment. *Politics and Society* 7: 265-295.

Harvey D (1984) On the history and present condition of geography: An
historical materialist manifesto. *The Professional Geographer* 36: 1-11.

Harvey D (1987) Three myths in search of a reality in urban studies.
*Environment
and Planning D:* *Society and Space* 5: 367-386.

Harvey D (1989) *The Condition of Postmodernity: An Enquiry into the
Origins of Cultural Change*. Oxford: Blackwell.

Harvey D (2000) *Spaces of Hope*. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

Harvey D (2003) *Paris: Capital of Modernity*. New York: Routledge.

Harvey D (2009) *Cosmopolitanism and the Geographies of Freedom*. New York:
Columbia University Press.

Harvey D (2010) *A Companion to Marx=E2=80=99s Capital*. London: Verso.

Harvey D (2013a) *Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban
Revolution*. London: Verso.

Harvey D (2013b) *A Companion to Marx=E2=80=99s Capital, Volume 2*. London:=
 Verso.

Harvey D (2014) *Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism*.
London: Profile.

Hawken P (2007) *Blessed Unrest, How the Largest Movement in History is
Restoring Grace and Beauty to the World*. New York: Viking.

Holloway J (2010) *Change the World without Taking Power*. New York: Pluto
Press.

Hyams E (1979) *Pierre-Joseph Proudhon: His Revolutionary Life, Mind and
Works*. London: John Murray.

Johnston R J and Claval P, eds. (1984) *Geography Since the Second World
War*. London: Routledge.

Negri A (2015) An interview with Toni Negri: From the refusal of labour to
the seizure of power. *Roar Magazine* January, 2015 (
http://roarmag.org/2015/01/negri-interview-multitude-metropolis/ accessed
March 20, 2015).

Nozick R (1974) *Anarchy, State, and Utopia*. New York: Basic Books.

Peake L and Sheppard E (2014) The emergence of radical/critical geography
within North America. *ACME* 13: 305-327.

Pelletier P (2009) *Elis=C3=A9e Reclus: Geographie et Anarchie*. Paris: Les
Editions du Monde Libertaire.

Piore M and Sabel C (1984) *The Second Industrial Divide: Possibilities for
Prosperity*. New York: Basic Books.

Reclus E (1982) *L=E2=80=99Homme et la Terre*, Ghiblin B, ed. 2 vols (abrid=
ged).
Paris: La D=C3=A9couverte.

Scott J (2012) *Two Cheers for Anarchism*. Princeton, Princeton University
Press.

Sitrin M and Azzelini D (2014) *They Can=E2=80=99t Represent Us: Reinventin=
Democracy from Greece to Occupy*. London: Verso.

Smith N (1992) History and philosophy of geography: Real wars, theory
wars. *Progress
in Human Geography* 16: 257-271.

Smith N (2003) *American Empire: Roosevelt=E2=80=99s Geography and the Prel=
ude
to Globalization*. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Springer S (2014) Why a radical geography must be anarchist. *Dialogues in
Human Geography* 4: 249-270.

TATORT (2013) *Democratic Autonomy in Northern Kurdistan: The Council
Movement, Gender Liberation and Ecology*. Porsgrunn, Norway: New Compass
Press.

The Invisible Committee (2009) *The Coming Insurrection*. Los Angeles,
Semiotext(e).

 --
To view previous posts, create a Google account with your current email and
log in using gmail to access the archives.

--=20

s:

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/

--089e011767f929137205188c6911

=3D"gmail_quote">---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>From: <b class=
=3D"gmail_sendername">Orsan</b> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ors=
2015 at 12:05 AM<br>Subject: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: [Debate-List] (Fwd) Mar=
xist v Anarchist riffs in geography and politics<br>To: &quot;&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org">networkedlabour at lists.contra=
st.org</a>&gt;&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:networkedlabour at lists.contrast.o=
/b> <b>[Debate-List] (Fwd) Marxist v Anarchist riffs in geography and polit=
 =20

   =20
 =20
 =20
    The two very interesting Springer articles are in .pdf, here:
ttps://uvic.academia.edu/SimonSpringer</a><br>
      <h2><a href=3D"http://davidharvey.org/2015/06/listen-anarchist-by-dav=
id-harvey/" rel=3D"bookmark" title=3D"=E2=80=9CListen, Anarchist!=E2=80=9D =
by David Harvey" target=3D"_blank">=E2=80=9CListen,
          Anarchist!=E2=80=9D by David Harvey</a></h2>
t-by-david-harvey/" title=3D"=E2=80=9CListen, Anarchist!=E2=80=9D by David =
Harvey" target=3D"_blank">June 10, 2015</a></span>
idharvey/" title=3D"Posts by David Harvey" rel=3D"author" target=3D"_blank"=
>David Harvey</a></span>
hist!=E2=80=9D by David
Simon
        Springer=E2=80=99s =E2=80=9CWhy a radical geography must be anarchi=
st=E2=80=9D</strong></p>
      </strong>City University of New York, USA</p>
nger%20Commentary%20-%20David%20Harvey.pdf" target=3D"_blank">Download as P=
      which he argues that a radical geography must be freshly anarchist
      and not tired-old Marxist. As with any polemic of this sort, his
      paper has its quota of misrepresentations, exaggerations and ad
      hominem criticisms, but Springer does raise key issues that are
      worthy of discussion.</p>
=99t
      entirely agree) with Murray Bookchin, who in his late writings
      (after he had severed his long- standing connection to anarchism),
      felt that =E2=80=9Cthe future of the Left, in the last analysis, depe=
nds
      upon its ability to accept what is valid in both Marxism and
      anarchism for the present time and for the future coming into
      view=E2=80=9D (Bookchin, 2014: 194). We need to define =E2=80=9Cwhat =
approach can
      incorporate the best of the revolutionary tradition =E2=80=93 Marxism=
 and
      anarchism =E2=80=93 in ways and forms that speak to the kinds of prob=
lems
      that face the present=E2=80=9D (2014: 164).</p>
      project. He seems mainly bent on polarizing the relation between
      anarchism and Marxism as if they are mutually exclusive if not
      hostile. There is, in my view, no point in that. From my Marxist
      perspective, the autonomist and anarchist tactics and sentiments
      that have animated a great deal of political activism over the
      last few years (in movements like =E2=80=9COccupy=E2=80=9D) have to b=
      appreciated, analyzed and supported when appropriate. If I think
      that =E2=80=9COccupy=E2=80=9D or what happened in Gezi Park and on th=
e streets of
      Brazilian cities were progressive movements, and if they were
      animated in whole or in part by anarchist and autonomista thought
      and action, then why on earth would I not engage positively with
      them? To the degree that anarchists of one sort or another have
      raised important issues that are all too frequently ignored or
      dismissed as irrelevant in mainstream Marxism, so too I think
      dialogue =E2=80=93 let us call it mutual aid =E2=80=93 rather than co=
nfrontation
      between the two traditions is a far more fruitful way to go.
      Conversely, Marxism, for all its past faults, has a great deal
      that is crucial to offer to the anti-capitalist struggle in which
      many anarchists are also engaged.</p>
      which to explore the possibility of collaborations and mutual aid.
      As Springer points out, some of the major figures in the
      nineteenth century anarchist tradition =E2=80=93 most notably=C2=A0Kr=
opotkin,
      Metchnikoff and Reclus =E2=80=93 were geographers. Through the work o=
      Patrick Geddes, Lewis Mumford and later on Murray Bookchin,
      anarchist sentiments have also been influential in urban planning,
      while many utopian schemas (such as that of Edward Bellamy) as
      well as practical plans (such as those of Ebenezer Howard) reflect
      anarchist influences. I would, incidentally, put my own utopian
      sketch (=E2=80=9CEdilia=E2=80=9D) from <em>Spaces of Hope</em> (2000)=
 in that
      sensitive to questions of space, place and environment (core
      concepts that I think most geographers would accept as central to
      their discipline). The Marxist tradition, on the whole, has been
      lamentably short on interest in such topics. It has also largely
      ignored urbanization and urban social movements, the production of
      space and uneven geographical developments (with some obvious
      exceptions such as Lefebvre and the Anglo-French <em>International
        Journal of Urban and Regional Research</em> that began in 1977,
      and in which Marxist sociologists played a prominent founding
      role). Only relatively recently (e.g. since the 1970s) has
      mainstream Marxism recognized environmental issues or urbanization
      and urban social movements as having fundamental significance
      within the contradictions of capital. Back in the 1960s, most
      orthodox Marxists regarded environmental issues as preoccupations
      of petite bourgeois romanticists (this was what infuriated Murray
      Bookchin who gave vent to his feelings in his widely circulated
      essay, =E2=80=9CListen, Marxist!=E2=80=9D, from 1971=E2=80=99s <em>Po=
st- Scarcity
        Anarchism</em>).</p>
      1970s, I figured that part of my mission might be to help Marxists
      be better geographers. I have frequently joked since that it
      proved much easier to bring Marxist perspectives into geography
      than to get Marxists to take geographical questions seriously.
      Bringing Marxist perspectives into geography meant taking up
      themes on space, place making and environment and embedding them
      in a broad understanding of =E2=80=9Cthe laws of motion of capital=E2=
=80=9D as
      Marx understood them. Most social anarchists I know (as Springer
      admits) find the Marxist critical expos=C3=A9 and theoretical account
      of how capital circulates and accumulates in space and time and
      through environmental transformations helpful. To the degree that
      I was able, and continue to work on, how to make Marx=E2=80=99s criti=
que
      of capital more relevant and more easily understood, particularly
      in relation to topics such as urbanization, landscape formation,
      place- making, rental extractions, ecological transformations and
      uneven geographical developments, I would hope that social
      anarchists might appreciate and not disparage the effort. The
      contributions of Marxism in general and Marxist political economy
      in particular are foundational to anti-capitalist struggle. They
      define more clearly what the struggle has to be about and against
      and why.</p>
      Elis=C3=A9e Reclus was one of the most prolific anarchist geographers
      of the nineteenth century. Looking at his nineteen volume <em>Geograp=
hie
        Universelle</em>, there is little trace of anarchist sentiments
      (any more than there were in Kropotkin=E2=80=99s studies of the physi=
cal
      geography of central Asia). For this reason the Royal Geographical
      Society in London could plead=C2=A0for the release of both Reclus and
      Kropotkin from imprisonment when they got into political trouble
      because they were first rate a-political geographers. The reason
      behind this was quite simple. Hachette, Reclus=E2=80=99 publisher, wo=
uld
      not tolerate any foregrounding of his politics (given the
      reputations of anarchists for violence at that time) and Reclus
      needed the money to live on. Reclus seems to have been either
      resigned or content with this. He could be content because he held
      that objective and deep geographical knowledge of the world and
      its peoples was a necessary condition for building an emancipatory
      life for the whole of humanity. A deep humanism encompassing
      egalitarian respect for cultural diversity and respect for the
      relation to nature are characteristic of his work (Fleming, 1988;
      Dunbar, 1978). In his open letter to his anarchist colleagues
      (which I cited in the concluding paragraph of <em>Cosmopolitanism