[P2P-F] Fwd: the two economic-centric priorities for commoners right now

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jul 27 09:17:58 CEST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>
Date: Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: Continuing to fill in the context

I'll share my perspective on this, which may not be that of the others
copied in,

my first inclination today is that the focus needs to be on constructing
commons, immaterial and material, everywhere we can, and to create vehicles
so that this allows the creation of livelihoods and the self-reproduction
of the commoners. While the struggle between labor and capital remains a
reality as long as the current political economy dominates, I think
personally that all struggles that focus on bringing more labor into
subordinate working relations in view of redistribution, are no longer
operative, and that we must focus on counter-economic networks, with
decommodified cooperative labor co-constructing commons. This means, as
first suggested by Pat Conaty on this list, to create a in-between between
the commons and capital, i.e. to focus on cooperative accumulation. But
that cooperative accumulation can no longer be merely a coop that competes
on the capitalist marketplace, but a coop that co-produces commons, and
works with non-capitalist capital in a non-capitalist market. This means
concretely working on the creation of entrepreneurial coalitions that are
co-dependent and organized around the commons that they are co-creating.

Concretely, at the territorial level, this looks like what Stephanie
Rearick is doing in Madison,
https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/100-women-who-are-co-creating-the-p2p-society-stephanie-rearick-of-the-mutual-aid-network/2015/07/18,
or what Marion Rousseaux is trying to do in Lille with Encommuns.org
https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/100-women-who-are-co-creating-the-p2p-society-marion-rousseaux-on-the-commons-in-lille-france/2015/07/25,
i.e. create interlocking value chains for the cooperative commonwealth, at
the local or the translocal level.

At the more 'trans-national' level, this means a direct focus on the
creation of phyles, i.e. ethical, 'generative' business networks that
sustain a community and its commons. This means projects like lasindias.net,
enspiral, ethos, and others. (marty, you'll find descriptions of all those
in the p2pfoundation.net wiki, via the search box on the top right)