[P2P-F] Fwd: peer production of security

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Feb 27 20:24:45 CET 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andreas Schmidt <shmt at me.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: peer production of security
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Andreas

@shmt, netdefences.com/research, shmt at me.com
——

I would like to inform you about the general availability of my doctoral
thesis, entitled “Secrecy versus openness — Internet security and the
limits of open source and peer production”. For an abstract, please see
further below.

An online version is ready for download at the institutional repository of
Delft University of Technology.
http://dx.doi.org/10.4233/uuid:ecf237ed-7131-4455-917f-11e55e03df0d. The
PDF includes a five-pages summary.

In addition, there is superbly designed and manufactured print version
available. It is not for sale, but my faculty has a decent number of copies
available for interested individuals and organisations.

- - - - -

Abstract

Open source and peer production have been praised as organisational models
that could change the world for the better. It is commonly asserted that
almost any societal activity could benefit from distributed, bottom-up
collaboration — by making societal interaction more open, more social, and
more democratic. However, we also need to be mindful of the limits of these
models. How could they function in environments hostile to openness?
Security is a societal domain more prone to secrecy than any other, except
perhaps for romantic love. In light of the destructive capacity of
contemporary cyber attacks, how has the Internet survived without a
comprehensive security infrastructure? Secrecy vs. openness describes the
realities of Internet security production through the lenses of open source
and peer production theories. The study offers a glimpse into the
fascinating communities of technical experts, who played a pivotal role
when the chips were down for the Internet after large-scale attacks. After
an initial flirtation with openness in the early years, operational
Internet security communities have put in place institutional mechanisms
that have resulted in less open forms of social production.

/ <http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/>