[P2P-F] Greek Vice-President explicitely endorses commons strategy before parliament

Wed Feb 11 22:51:49 CET 2015

Sorry for my previous half finished message.

Hi guys. I checked the speech of Mr Dragasakis I will try to translate some
parts of it. Bear in mind that due to the cultural and linguistic
differences of the Greek language with English I might not be able to
convey it properly (I am not a trained translator)

"Title: Speech during the government's policy statements"

The most interesting part at least for my shelf as a member of a commons
based collective like hackerspace.gr and a strong supporter of the commons
personally and in public is the following.

I would like to, conclude with the permission of the President, with a
> general thought. Often in everyday life we all live events happening that
> only hindsight their importance. We live, then, and now a historic era,
> characterized not only by the crisis and the collapse of obsolete models,
> but we live a crisis that eventually spawned new models and new social
> organization models, as was done in the past. In this sense, then, this is
> an opportunity to take up the deficits of the past, to close this
> modernization deficit, but by addressing the contemporary social problem of
> unemployment, social security and social exclusion. This could establish a
> new paradigm in Greece and other countries of southern Europe, combining
> advanced forms of democracy, social self-motivation, social justice on a
> strong foundation of *common goods*, a society-centric model, which would
> give dignity and confidence in society hope to the people, optimism in the
> new generation. Thus, Greece from being the Guenna-pig of austerity and
> destruction could be the a ground of pioneering ideas and policies, and the
> benefit would not be just for us. The world would become a security goal in
> a region of insecurity and "aged" Europe could re-discover through the
> symbiosis of different development models inside. Let's not rush some say
> that these are utopias, because there are utopias that are realistic. Are
> those whose implementation depends not on supernatural powers, but by the
> unity and collective action of ordinary people in Europe, in Greece and
> worldwide. Thank you.

Greek speakers could find the original here.

http://www.dragasakis.gr/omiliesparembaseis.php?id=1041

I hope this could help a bit on the conversation.

--
http://elkosmas.gr