[P2P-F] Michael Wayne on his new book "Red Kant: Aesthetics, Marxism and the Third Critique" (CAMRI Seminar, Nov 19)

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Tue Nov 18 10:23:08 CET 2014

Kant’s Aesthetics and Marxism
Talk by Michael Wayne
CAMRI Seminar
Wed Nov 26, 14:00
University of Westminster
Harrow Campus
Room A7.01

Registration is possible by e-mail to christian.fuchs at uti.at until
November 17.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/camri/research-seminars/kants-aesthetics-and-marxism

The contest between a sociology of culture and a philosophy of the
aesthetic often resolves itself into an unsatisfactory antinomy between
a reduction of the aesthetic to its conditions of production or a
transcendence of the aesthetic from those selfsame social conditions.
Suspicion of the ideology of the aesthetic has led materialists of
various stripes to embrace the former, while an idealist celebration of
transcendence has often drawn on Kant’s aesthetic philosophy.

In this talk on the subject of his new book 'Red Kant: Aesthetics,
Marxism and the Third Critique' (Bloomsbury 2014) Michael Wayne argues
that Kant’s aesthetic turn represents a break from the problems which
his philosophy encountered in the first and second Critiques. Through
the aesthetic Kant begins to develop ideas that will be important to
Marxist philosophy, but more importantly can help us think about the
specificity and significance of the aesthetic today as a special kind of
cognition, with the potential to re-wire our affective responses to the
world, expand our imaginations, articulate utopian desires and retain a
special connection to our materialist conditions of existence.

Michael Wayne is a Professor of Screen Studies at Brunel University. He
has written widely on Marxist theory. His books include 'Political Film:
the dialectics of Third Cinema' (2001), 'Marxism and Media Studies: Key
Concepts and Contemporary Trends' (2003), 'Marx’s Das Kapital For
Beginners' (2012) and 'Red Kant: Aesthetics, Marxism and the Third
Critique' (2014).