[P2P-F] Fwd: The Anthrobscene

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Nov 13 14:03:16 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jussi Parikka <jussi.parikka1976 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Subject: The Anthrobscene
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Dear friends,

here's the e-release of my little publication in the Forerunners-series:
The Anthrobscene.  It is a stand-alone essay as well as a preview single of
the longer book, Geology of Media, out next year!

best
Jussi

*The Anthrobscene, one of the first three works in the Forerunners: Ideas
First series, now available *
[image: The Anthrobscene]

  THE ANTHROBSCENE
 By Jussi Parikka
 University of Minnesota Press l 68 pages l November 2014
 ISBN 978-1-4529-4400-5 | ebook | $4.95
 ISBN 978-0-8166-9607-9 | paperback | $7.95
 Forerunners: Ideas First Series

  Smartphones, laptops, tablets, and e-readers all at one time held the
promise of a more environmentally healthy world not dependent on paper and
deforestation. The result of our ubiquitous digital lives is, as we see in *The
Anthrobscene*, actually quite the opposite: not ecological health but an
environmental wasteland, where media never die. Jussi Parikka critiques
corporate and human desires as a geophysical force, analyzing the material
side of the earth as essential for the existence of media and introducing
the notion of an alternative deep time in which media live on in the layer
of toxic waste we will leave behind as our geological legacy.

 *The Anthrobscene* is one of the first three works released in the
University of Minnesota Press's new Forerunners: Ideas First
<http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/series/forerunners-ideas-first>
initiative, along with *Aesop's Anthropology*, by John Hartigan Jr., and
*Mediators*, by Reinhold Martin. Forerunners is a thought-in-process series
of breakthrough digital works. Written between fresh ideas and finished
books, Forerunners draws on scholarly work initiated in notable blogs,
social media, conference plenaries, journal articles, and the synergy of
academic exchange. This is gray literature publishing: where intense
thinking, change, and speculation take place in scholarship.

  *ABOUT THE AUTHOR:*
 *Jussi Parikka* is professor in technological culture and aesthetics at
Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton.

  For more information, including the table of contents, visit the book's
webpage:
 http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/the-anthrobscene
 http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/series/forerunners-ideas-first

 *REVIEW AND INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES:*
Digital and print review copies and interviews available upon request.

 *PRESS CONTACT:*
  presspr at umn.edu | 612.627.1932 | http://www.upress.umn.edu

--
Heather Skinner, Publicist and Assistant Marketing Manager
University of Minnesota Press
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520presspr at umn.edu
p: 612-627-1932
f: 612-627-1980http://www.upress.umn.edu

--
Check out the Commons Transition Plan here at:
http://en.wiki.floksociety.org/w/Research_Plan