[P2P-F] Fwd: [members] Fwd: [Website feedback] MOOR: massive online open research

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Mar 28 19:54:15 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <n.gilbert at surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM
Subject: [members] Fwd: [Website feedback] MOOR: massive online open
research
To: members at lists.p2pvalue.eu

Comments?

Nigel

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *"l.rubinstein at uva.nl" <l.rubinstein at uva.nl>
*Subject: **[Website feedback] MOOR: massive online open research*
*Date: *28 March 2014 10:38:18 GMT
*To: *"admin at p2pvalue.eu" <admin at p2pvalue.eu>

Liza Rubinstein (l.rubinstein at uva.nl) sent a message using the contact form
at http://www.p2pvalue.eu/contact.

Dear P2P Value,

We are emailing you to inform you of a project the University of Amsterdam
is
working on. Also, we would like to ask you if you know of similar projects
or
of parties that might be interested to learn more about our activities.

MOOR (massive online open research) is a project which seeks to create
software so that qualitative research can be performed open, online and
collaboratively. Specifically, we are looking for ways to discuss and draw
conclusions about data materials (such as text and imagery) collaboratively.

The goals of the project are to work with large sets of data which are
already available but cannot be processed with small research teams, to
generate a broader perspective on this data by engaging a diverse set of
people and to create a platform where people can learn about and contribute
to this lesser known field of scientific research.

As far as we know, there is no common based peer production software that
allows to both discuss the content of primary documents ánd create
overview/insight into the discussion. But we are curious to hear what you
know of. As I think this description might be quite abstract let me give you
an example of a project we would like to be able to perform:

What does it mean when we talk about 'political trust'? This is a topic
widely discussed in the Netherlands, but the way it is measured is quite
poorly developed. The Netherlands Institute of Social Research has a dataset
(text) available of people explaining what they mean by political trust. At
the moment it is impossible to study all of this material: we do not have
the
human capacity and computer automated text analysis has not been developed
sufficiently to do this task.

What we envision is a common based peer production platform where everyone
can stroll through the data and annotate or tag this data based on specific
instructions. Simultaneously, people can choose to look through the tagged
material and start to formulate conclusions of the different ways people
think about political trust which will then be open for the other users to
see and to discuss. Together, it might be possible to start understanding,
collaboratively, what is meant by the term political trust.

We hope to hear from you, kind regards,

On behalf of the MOOR development team,

Liza Rubinstein

Professor Nigel Gilbert, ScD, FREng, AcSS, Professor of Sociology,
University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK. +44 (0)1483 689173

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/