[P2P-F] Fwd: Tikkun Daily: What's Really Going On in Ukraine, Venezuela's Current Crisis, BDS and the American Jewish Community, and more!

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Mar 11 02:42:43 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tikkun Staff <magazine at tikkun.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Subject: Tikkun Daily: What's Really Going On in Ukraine, Venezuela's
Current Crisis, BDS and the American Jewish Community, and more!
To: Michelsub2004 at gmail.com

                *Click on the links below to join the lively discussions
taking place this week on the Tikkun Daily blog! Unlike the carefully
edited print magazine
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3VYmTjQNvWDxIMcIGx%2FqfG9tV73REzq%2B>
and web
magazine
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=y3PKy53rvUmRLK75HIBMbW9tV73REzq%2B>
site, Tikkun
Daily
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KGsFpNzBiUuR19Sxr6QjVW9tV73REzq%2B>
is
a spontaneous, open forum to which volunteer bloggers directly post their
ideas and readers post their comments. You'll find a provocative variety of
views here, including some with which Tikkun editors heartily disagree, so
please remember that any given post is presented solely by its author and
does not represent Tikkun's editorial stance. To sign up for a daily email
digest with links to the day's posts, click here
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Odnf2I98EMaEnWJaBXlvYG9tV73REzq%2B>:*
 Rabbi Michael Lerner: Ukraine: What is Really Going
On<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5h6Z27y7f2LdwldqpaNi2m9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 04, 2014 03:30 pm | Rabbi Michael Lerner

One thing I'm sure of is that media accounts available in the United States
are so tainted by anti-Russia and U.S. nationalist and capitalist interests
that we have no idea of what is really happening in Ukraine.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=x82TAM03fG%2FfwGWP6PCwUm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=R63MAxipO4Pd3qgY309ce29tV73REzq%2B>
 ------------------------------
 Rabbi Michael Lerner: Tom Hayden on Venezuela's Current
Crisis<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=03MosP4Bru2P%2FqOzOTSehG9tV73REzq%2B>
Feb 28, 2014 02:28 am | Rabbi Michael Lerner

The losers of the Venezuelan elections have turned into Leninists of the
Right, seeking to create a counter-revolutionary situation in which the
government apparatus crumbles and they seize power........Despite frequent
denials by US officials, for example, the State Department's own Inspector
General found that the Pentagon and US "democracy programs" supported
individuals and groups "actively involved in the brief ouster of the Chavez
government" in the 2002 coup attempt.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Qn9pF21yZkzbHbaAIlzpPqmaUKxZfDqe>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kjzVfO6nuxAD%2FD3Bi%2BTQfG9tV73REzq%2B>
------------------------------
  Donna Nevel: Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) and the American
Jewish Community<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jB%2Bi6BsH4xM3W63b0WiM9W9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 07, 2014 05:22 pm | Donna Nevel

Many American Jewish organizations claim to be staunch supporters of civil
and human rights as well as academic freedom. But when it comes to Boycott,
Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel, they make an exception. In
their relentless opposition to BDS, they leave even core principles behind.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=007mnYhiMoK3IculJwIoXm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YR7TBLe1mIw5WBOebwfke29tV73REzq%2B>
 ------------------------------
  MJ Rosenberg: Netanyahu Is Mostly Right About BDS -- But BDS Is Not The
Problem<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tdXzgXtFhN4diwxw5nxIa29tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 04, 2014 12:05 pm | MJ Rosenberg

As I have written before, I don't much like the BDS movement for many of
the same reasons Prime Minister Netanyahu doesn't. It demonizes Israel,
many of its leading proponents are anti-Semites, and its rage against
Israel is entirely selective. I also believe (from reading its material)
that the movement exists to eliminate the State.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ViYR0UyHltT52v9Ck2YDQm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qHT2OSP5zJPQzaIlII5RTm9tV73REzq%2B>
  ------------------------------
  Rebecca Vilkomerson: Liberal Values and the BDS
Movement<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vJ2PL0Xgyi8TQ25mRTC6Lm9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 01, 2014 01:50 am | Rebecca Vilkomerson

When Scarlett Johansson became the spokesperson for SodaStream, a company
with its main factory in an Israeli settlement, the worldwide pressure
resulted in her being forced to choose between being a spokesperson for
Oxfam, a human rights organization, and her SodaStream gig. It seems that
no one, not even A-list celebrities, can be considered humanitarians or
human rights advocates any longer if they have anything at all to do with
the settlements, which, of course, are illegal under international law.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=sixQfLUrEOyGxHs0z3JfNm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yXAY81kbIOa%2Fexso7Mno%2BG9tV73REzq%2B>
------------------------------
  Katie Loncke: 5 Big Problems With
Compassion-Baiting<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=iCTeqP8o2VXQw%2Fw9cpTLkW9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 07, 2014 06:46 pm | Katie Loncke

Unfortunately, we spiritual-progressive types, including but not limited to
dharma heads, seem to be particularly prone to something I call
compassion-baiting. In social justice situations, specifically,
compassion-baiting often sounds like: "You're more upset / loud / angry
about social harm than I, arbiter, deem appropriate. You must therefore be
lacking in wisdom or compassion." Why so touchy, you ask? Let's break it
down: 5 major fails associated with compassion-baiting.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uALVEaXaOdaSDon2c9ymHW9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=zdLIabA%2BSU74P78dGon%2Fkm9tV73REzq%2B>
  ------------------------------
  Mark Kirschbaum: Torah Commentary: Perashat Vayikra- Who is Ritual
For?<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bFJyw1N%2FgLQYpSRh0vO5LW9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 06, 2014 03:08 pm | Mark Kirschbaum

There is a lot of discussion these days in religious circles about
"protecting halacha", protecting the law, that if certain positions are
taken by communities (usually issues related to the role of women, or
modern scholarship these days), then "halacha" will be in "danger".  I find
this a curious new position.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7833nvR%2BCRLJ%2FAo1L9Dylm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F4z%2B1mp4lqF48ZbHg0x%2Fmm9tV73REzq%2B>
------------------------------
 Zehra Bapir: Happy Sabbath to You
Too<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Ufw2bTX%2BWCECyoq7%2F4ZqyG9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 06, 2014 01:26 pm | Zehra Bapir

When we make an attempt to truly understand each other's lives, only then
can we exist peacefully. This is the true example of interfaith.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Wx9Lj54vUTlUgpexsprBxm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kgSgEaFvOrAjRBNQL%2FDAPW9tV73REzq%2B>
------------------------------
  Sharon Delgado: Ash Wednesday Worship and Arrests at
Beale<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nuN0p2squorCFuNYs37Yxm9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm | Sharon Delgado

  Today, on Ash Wednesday, I participated in a deeply meaningful worship
service and nonviolent direct action against drones at the gate of Beale
Air Force Base. In the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "My body is tired
but my soul is rested." Actions of faith and conscience are good for the
soul.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PGksdluDaTysWOxvb%2FV7uKmaUKxZfDqe>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=k3ah1zc29Iv6lug1jboiz6maUKxZfDqe>
------------------------------
  Saadia Faruqi: Why Everyone should Care about NYPD's Surveillance of
Muslims<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ve4XpeRfZjn0ZB6MpZFK5G9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 04, 2014 07:23 am | Saadia Faruqi

Last week the U.S. District Court dismissed a long-standing case against
the NYPD for their secret surveillance of Muslims in New York and New
Jersey in the years after 9/11. Yet few Americans outside of the American
Muslim community spoke out against the judgment, and not all newspapers
carried the news. For the average American of a different faith, this
wasn't really too newsworthy. Here's why they are wrong.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HgSmkm%2FlU%2FHylbA661xchm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0ohc7iNJZ%2BOHG5gHIECN3G9tV73REzq%2B>
 ------------------------------
   Timothy Villareal: Fear Not Pentagon Head Games About Love For Your
Country<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yv2bR9IKOOf7EBXjDjdZ529tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 03, 2014 11:40 pm | Timothy Villareal

Vladimir Putin is flexing muscles because he knows the U.S. has been
weakened by the Iraq and Afghanistan strategic disasters. Why do we accept
a for-pay soldiery that is so undermining our democracy and global
security? Answer: Pentagon brainwashing.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YyYuQeTpuqMfSZqc7sRkGm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TW4%2BSOA6o%2B5Db3aWC9SWMm9tV73REzq%2B>
 ------------------------------

 Arlene Goldbard: Just Call Me Chief Policy
Wonk!<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=p6oanqsXFjow72z84SV%2F4W9tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 03, 2014 01:34 pm | Arlene Goldbard

For a year and a half or so, I've been an advisor to a new and exciting
project, the US Department of Arts and Culture, which is demonstrating the
public cultural presence we need in this country by performing it. Watch
Deputy Secretary Norman Beckett explain it in a video clip.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=i2tZozwjWZH5fIlpHHuG%2FW9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Man0hDyUzHxkbZbb7P1vZW9tV73REzq%2B>
   ------------------------------

 David Harris-Gershon: Why 83% of U.S. Jews Support Marriage
Equality<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hY%2FD6SQ0fa%2BDkYwXlYnXFamaUKxZfDqe>
Mar 01, 2014 01:16 pm | David Harris-Gershon

A survey published this week by the Public Religion Research Institute
(PRRI) confirmed what several other polls have shown: that a majority of
Americans - 53 percent - now support marriage equality. However, perhaps
the most interesting finding in PRRI's survey was this: a staggering 83
percent of Jewish Americans support marriage equality, more than any other
religious group in the United States. (White Roman Catholics are next in
line, at 58-percent support, while all Protestant denominations are below
50 percent.)
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RLmTWjUs8E5aL8gaCAYh6G9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TW4%2BSOA6o%2B62wDS6mJii2W9tV73REzq%2B>
 ------------------------------

 Dave Belden: Teaching English, Physics and
Love<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5cr%2FAaoHK3xVHRu8xq5T%2B29tV73REzq%2B>
Mar 01, 2014 12:07 pm | Dave Belden

Two beautiful, moving and challenging movies about teachers who understand
that kids can't learn in school if everything's going wrong at home and in
the neighborhood.
comments<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jWobAdIeCuOd8d7K212vLm9tV73REzq%2B>
 | read more<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QRZS%2B5bXoMMmIdW%2BlTvVZW9tV73REzq%2B>
either in print or online form) at
www.tikkun.org/subscribe<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qHT2OSP5zJNUsP55DvpyxG9tV73REzq%2B>)
or even better by joining the interfaith and
atheist/secular-humanist-welcoming Network of Spirtual Progressives at
www.spiritualprogresssives.org/joinordonate<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ll4PKHIqcjdf3F4czmGTeG9tV73REzq%2B>.
When you join the NSP, you get a free one year sub to Tikkun magazine.

unsubscribe: Click
here<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VngNdmWSgUV7xeCeiqaT4G9tV73REzq%2B>

Copyright 2009 Tikkun Magazine. Tikkun is a registered trademark.
2342 Shattuck Avenue, #1200
Berkeley, CA 94704
510-644-1200
Fax 510-644-1255

 [image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/