[P2P-F] Transnational and P2P Commons Transitions

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jul 28 08:01:26 CEST 2014

Dear Orsan,

it is precisely for this reason that we parted with flok

in the longer term, we need to find and focus on the protocols that are
necessary to retain equipotentiality in a network ...

perhaps we could work together on identifying those rules ?

it has been on the back of my mind for a few years, see
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:P2P_Hierarchy_Theory and
http://www.diigo.com/user/mbauwens/Protocollary-Power ..

It seems to me that the work of Stephen Downes would be a great starting
point ..

http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:P2P_Hierarchy_Theory?search=stephen+downes&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=1

for example:

http://p2pfoundation.net/Democratic_Institutional_Design /
http://p2pfoundation.net/Knowing_Networks

so my proposal is to have a joint page where we can jot down the rules that
maintain true distribution of power

Michel

<<>From the communist manifesto to first international, from Erfurt and
Gotha to Comintern the discussion between theses and factions, being
formed among groups of friends, based on one important but small
faction or an entirely new frame of theoretical-analytical
abstraction, took the conflicts between individuals and caused strong
and irreversible demarcations between sppousedly emancipatory visions
and energies.. May be most of the time very stupid reasons, like
money, girl, ego casued these we can't now...  Then we (emancipatory
peopel) had reproduced the power games of rulers -can be traced easily
in the tone of writings of Marx, Engels, Luxembourg, Kautsky, Lenin,
Proudhon, Bakunin,... the spirit of the time is gaining respect and
authority for argument was full fledged attacks on personality.. plus
whatever possible, as may be a result of structural possibilities
limiting communication. It killed the true spirit of
revolution/emancipation as well as prevented prefigurative ethical
politics as such. In my opinion this made it possible for the rulers
to survive and evolve into capitalist class agency for itself and gave
them advantage. Since they saw that their grave digger were also like
them.. since we did reproduce the capitalist form of power
accumulation. It is not possible in the same way today, p2p mode of
communication allows more open confrontations and conflict resolution
processes, egalitarian and ethical - prefigurative relationships, as
well as checks and balances. Still there are ways and tricks to gain
network power and use it against the 'lower order' nodes? so on these
weaknesses there is a work to do. Yet the structurally speaking it is
not impossible to solve these problems today>>

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/